Main Menu

Orientation / Alignment of Hood Pin Plates?

Started by Rutro, April 21, 2020, 07:29:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rutro

OK, let try to explain my confusion. I need to drill the 1/8" pilot holes for the sheet metal screws.
I have the larger hole that the hood pin comes up through the hood. And I know the screw orientation is like this
x..x
x..x
Looks like the measurement from the side edge of the hood is 1 inch to drill holes.
But that makes it aligned to the edge of the hood, but it looks like the bottom screws would not be parallel to the other screws on the other hood plate.

What is the correct placement / orientation? HELP!!!

Scooter

anlauto

I personally think the  four screw pattern should be "square" to the center line of the car....in other words...no matter how the hood tapers on the side or the front, the screw pattern should be straight when looking down on it. Just my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rutro

Everyone thanks!!!
That link was good. I have the drag marks on my plates putting the pin in from the front...sideways makes sense
Alan...I was thinking the same thing, using the center line of the hood, I was hoping to get opinions on that.

headejm

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2020, 08:11:41 AM
I personally think the  four screw pattern should be "square" to the center line of the car....in other words...no matter how the hood tapers on the side or the front, the screw pattern should be straight when looking down on it. Just my opinion. :alan2cents:

:iagree:

Rutro

So I just laid a tape on the hood and it does not appear that the hood has a taper.
I think all the contour on the hood was throwing me off.
I'm still going to measure off the center.

6bblgt

here's an unrestored over-the-counter (N94) T/A hood  :takealook:

LH & RH rivet locations are not square and are off by ~1/8" to edge of hood

RH

6bblgt

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 21, 2020, 03:33:25 PM
here's an unrestored over-the-counter (N94) T/A hood  :takealook:

LH & RH rivet locations are not square and are off by ~1/8" to edge of hood

RH

That's interesting.
I'm thinking that this is probably just typical production variance from when they were slapping these things together at the factory, rather than a precisely measured consistent intentional 1/8th inch location difference.
It's always nice to have good reference photos of unrestored parts though!

I hope all of you are doing well.

Tav