Main Menu

RT hood scoop block off plates

Started by dave73, November 03, 2017, 08:12:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Do you guys run with the block off plates on or off?

Cuda Cody

There's plates and also a rain gutter, right?  I keep them on.

dave73

Not sure - my AMD hood only came with the block off plates

dodj

Definitely on. Air getting into the engine compartment through those scoops reduces the efficiency of the cooling system.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dave73

Cool i'll put them back on then. Anyone know the screw size, don't know where they went...

303 Mopar

No real advantage running with them off.  They sit too far back on the hood and are too low to catch any significant air flow, and minimal heat escapes only when your sitting still so no real engine cooling help. 

70/6chall

I do not run block off plates, they did not come with the hood when I originally bought it used. And it was never a high priority with me to add them. I did make a discovery though, since I am running a SL6 with an open element 14x3" air cleaner. I noticed by looking through the left hood scoop opening, that the offset air cleaner can be seen directly through that opening. I'm wondering while driving does the air passing through that opening go straight into the carb?       Thanks,   Al

Chryco Psycho

I have never had them to install & they have never been in the hood , there is an upward lip & it channels any water inside the hood frame

71-440

Being a new member here I am getting caught up on older posts.
Just thought I would throw this out there.
On my 09 Challenger R/T the scoops were blocked off. Only the SRT's scoops were "Functional".
I bought a set of SRT inserts which were a rubber type boot. It had a 90* bend about an inch or so which directed the air down over the top of the
of where the valve covers and exhaust manifolds are.
My feeling was any air getting in there would help with heat soak. Never had a problem with water getting in the engine bay.

My 71 Challenger has the block off plates installed and I will eventually take them out also.

Joe

Roadman

Quote from: 71-440 on January 06, 2018, 05:37:50 PM
Being a new member here I am getting caught up on older posts.
Just thought I would throw this out there.
On my 09 Challenger R/T the scoops were blocked off. Only the SRT's scoops were "Functional".
I bought a set of SRT inserts which were a rubber type boot. It had a 90* bend about an inch or so which directed the air down over the top of the
of where the valve covers and exhaust manifolds are.
My feeling was any air getting in there would help with heat soak. Never had a problem with water getting in the engine bay.

My 71 Challenger has the block off plates installed and I will eventually take them out also.

More cold in, more heat out. Just my opinion, old school.   :iagree: