Main Menu

Original Fenders vs. Aftermarket

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, June 21, 2022, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Curious if anyone has an opinion as to whether or not aftermarket sheet metal makes any difference to the value of the car?  I have a 1970 'Cuda with a 440-6 that unfortunately has 'glass front fenders and hood.  I found a Rallye hood I am going to use with an original 6 barrel air cleaner but I am up in the air on the fenders.  I have a line on some nice used original fenders, but am I going down the rabbit hole trying to find original sheet metal and then patching / repairing those vs. a good set from AMD?  I am asking if there is any real added value in the end to having stock sheet metal if it is not original the the car?  Thanks!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

Value, in my opinion, not really any different on a car that is restored unless you're talking about mint original or NOS fenders.

Buying original fenders that need patches here and patches there, dents fix etc...I think in my opinion, I'd rather have a new AMD fender with zero or a little filler compared to an original that's all patched up and full of filler.....but that's just me, their are plenty of guys that won't settle for anything less then original sheet metal. :dunno:

Does your new car retain it's original fender tag ? Without a broadcast sheet, I would hope the tag is there and original...otherwise your car will NEVER be worth major V Code dollars.....Proper original documentation is where a large percentage of the value is in "top end" cars...If you don't have it, you're better off not worrying about all the correct little details and just drive the heck lout of it and enjoy it, the way they were meant to be enjoyed. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

as of now, no fender tag or broadcast sheet.  I would agree without either of those it matters little.  I should have said assuming there is a broadcast sheet, anyone think it makes any difference?  I want to enjoy the car, so it will never be a 100 point concourse car - that being said, I am also OCD about originality simply because I can't seem to let it go :drunk: so I am constantly searching for date code correct pieces that I "might" need
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70 Challenger Lover

I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring original metal to aftermarket but I can't see spending mountains of cash on genuine N.O.S. Stuff unless you had the fender tag and were trying to make the car as perfect as possible. As in, never drive it perfect.

I have heard though not to mix different brands, right and left or mix original with aftermarket if possible because subtle variations make panel alignment harder and more expensive if a shop is doing it.