Main Menu

Power Disc brake Conversion kit : Review, my thoughts and Watch what you buy!!

Started by docmel, August 06, 2020, 10:38:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

71 E body Cuda, originally manual brakes, drums all the way around:

I ordered a power booster/brake conversion kit from NC CUSTOMS LLC out of New Caney TX, off ebay

Pros:
-Kit was delivered very quickly:  Came with distribution block, linkages, booster, valve, firewall support plate,master cylinder and cap
-All parts were of very high quality, very good plating and powder coating, all metal parts thick and sturdy

Cons:
-No instructions included: When I called the company,  I was told "most mechanics know how to install them".   Finally I did get a e copy of the "Instructions", 3 days after I asked for them, via PDF:  All it was was how to bleed the MC, that was it.  With no instructions, this install took many, many hrs longer to install and make final adjustments than what it might have taken: There were many spacers, linkages, etc, that in the end, were not even used, and many parts did not fit  (See number 2 below, that might be part of the issue).   

-No way the included linkage will work with OEM brake pedal linkages and mounts:  I had to seriously modify both mine and the kit parts  (this kit was advertised as specifically for 71-Later e bodies)

-There are NO lines included that go from the master cylinder to the distro block, and no line is included to connect the MC to the rear main line:  I had to make them.  Thank God I had a double flare kit, but I still had to source the connectors, a REAL PIA

-Slim to no Tech or after sales Help

Some things to consider when getting a similiar kit:

1.  Check past reviews:  Although these guys had hundreds of past positives, when I looked closer, the last few negatives were all within a year, most in the last 6 months.  I shouldve taken that into consideration before buying

2.  I have heard (true or false?) that many companies that sell these types of kits, cobble parts together, and just ship them off, making some of these kits really "Universal Kits", not really specific kits for your specific make/model, so buyer beware

RacerX

That sucks that you had so many problems...   It can be really frustrating sometimes with kits like that when they claim to be what you need but in the end are not going to work without modifications if they work at all.

With respect to E-body front disc brakes, unless you need/want aftermarket high performance braking the best route is to use original OEM parts.   The whole setup is still fairly easy to source at reasonable prices and you know it will bolt right in and work.   71-72 B-bodies are the same so that gives more options for locating the parts.

docmel

Pic attached of kit that was in the ebay ad.  (all the spacers and washers that were included are not included in the pic)