Main Menu

Opinions..Will doing front disc brake conversion hurt value?

Started by GrandpaKevin, December 27, 2017, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I'm going to start buying parts to go through the entire brake system on my original 1971 R/T Challenger.
Car currently has it's 4 wheel manual drum brake setup which still works but is in need of a complete rebuild.
I plan to replace pretty much everything, master cylinder, all brake lines, wheel cylinders, shoes and spring kits.

Last year I did the exact same complete brake rebuild on the wife's original 4 wheel manual drum brake 1971 R/T Challenger but used a stock type front disc brake conversion kit and an aluminum master cylinder and A body distribution block from Dr. Diff.
I also went with Dot 5 brake fluid.
I wanted better brakes for the wife's car and didn't care if the master cylinder didn't look stock.   
I am very pleased with the results.

My Challenger is a little more original than the wife's and I'm wondering if replacing the front drums with discs would drastically hurt the car's value.
My car is a 4 speed so much of the braking is done with the transmission and the drums seem to get the job done but
front discs would work better obviously.

So what's everyone's opinion for the brake rebuild, swap to front discs or keep and rebuild all the drums?

I still have the complete front drum brake setup off the wife's car sitting outside rusting away and would rather not have another drum setup sitting next to it so both will probably get scrapped. :thinking:

Thanks.

Brads70

I would rather have disc brakes but I'm not much of a numbers matching sort of guy?
Depends on the collect ability of the car I would guess. Say a 1 of 1 Hemi Cuda I would guess the type of buyer for that car would want every nut and bolt original.

Spikedog08

Planning on selling the car?  If not, I would do it!   :takealook:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Racer57

I don't know anything as compared to some of the people here, but if all of the major components like the engine, tranny and differential are all original I would be hesitant.  If nothing else, swap it out and keep all the original components just in case.

RzeroB

Quote from: Racer57 on December 27, 2017, 01:59:19 PM
I don't know anything as compared to some of the people here, but if all of the major components like the engine, tranny and differential are all original I would be hesitant.  If nothing else, swap it out and keep all the original components just in case.

I agree ... but I wouldn't be hesitant. Brakes are one thing that can almost never be "too good" ... I want it to stop as well as it goes. Just keep all the original drum stuff in case you ever sell the car to a "purist" who would want to regress back to the original stuff.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

71GranCoupe

As the 2 prior posts said, update, but save the parts.  :cheers:

Roadman

Quote from: RzeroB on December 27, 2017, 02:07:40 PM
Quote from: Racer57 on December 27, 2017, 01:59:19 PM

I agree ... but I wouldn't be hesitant. Brakes are one thing that can almost never be "too good" ... I want it to stop as well as it goes. Just keep all the original drum stuff in case you ever sell the car to a "purist" who would want to regress back to the original stuff.

Yep     :iagree:

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm being a little too picky.
As far as originality the car has some of it's original FC7 paint but the entire paint needs redone.
Interior is all original.
Original engine is long gone with 440 installed now, 4 speed transmission is numbers matching's

Rear end has been swapped out for an original E body Dana 60, have the original 8 3/4 rear.

It might be for sale next summer but I think it's time for disc front brakes..... :wrenching:

Dakota

Unless it's a numbers matching car, personally i'd want the better performance of the front discs.  If it didn't already have them; I'd put them on. 

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Unless this is an ultra rare gold certified car I want the front discs on it

GoodysGotaCuda

Keep the old parts and upgrade it. It's nothing that cannot be completely "un-done" over a weekend.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

No question: Discs all the way. I did discs on my A-66 and used a stock type master cylinder, non power. It looked stock and stopped well. The front drums are easy to store complete if you like.
Sheldon

anlauto

If you're hung up on originality you could always try upgraded drum brakes http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/stage3.html 
I've installed two sets of these with good results.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I've had good results with the 11 inch drum cars I've had, they have stopped just fine. You have to adjust them once in awhile I find but it's no big deal. No question discs are better and if the engine is swapped anyway, no reason not to swap them.
My 66 Coronet and my 71 Charger were Hemi cars so I kept them original.
Sheldon

cbuczesk

This summer I replaced the front drums on my #s matching, 4-speed V-code Road Runner with original type discs so it looks stock. I kept all the original drum parts if I ever wanted to put it back. Nothing was cut or modified and it can easily be put back so I don't the value was hurt much at all.

Chuck