Main Menu

Radiator Restoration - or most accurate reproduction - A body

Started by 72 Challenger, October 08, 2021, 05:22:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Everyone,

I know that this is an e-body site but I am looking for a variety of opinions.

My can won't stay cold so I am looking to upgrade my radiator. Its a 22" 3 core factory set up. I am looking to either:

1. add a 4 row radiator to my current core
2. find a proper looking restoration

I'm located in Ottawa, Canada and there are absolutely zero rad shops that will do this for me. I'm willing to travel all around the area, but I can't go to the USA at the moment. My options there would be shipping but that cost would likely be absurd.

Who do we use to restore or buy restoration radiators from? I'm looking with something with part numbers etc... I want it to look factory.

I'd love to hear some Canadian options if they exist. I'm not far from any of the major towns in the east cost like Toronto or Montreal.
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

That's an easy one....Call up Rudy at Redi-Rad in Waterloo Ontario...bit of a drive for you, but they might ship as well... :dunno:
I've had dozens of radiators built by them :twothumbsup:
http://www.rediradwaterloo.ca/index.htm
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Quote from: anlauto on October 08, 2021, 05:27:02 AM
That's an easy one....Call up Rudy at Redi-Rad in Waterloo Ontario...bit of a drive for you, but they might ship as well... :dunno:

When you say built, have you ever had them modify an original tanks with a modern 4 core guts?

anlauto

Quote from: 72 Challenger on October 08, 2021, 05:45:22 AM
Quote from: anlauto on October 08, 2021, 05:27:02 AM

When you say built, have you ever had them modify an original tanks with a modern 4 core guts?

No I haven't but they should, or might, be able to help you out...it's worth a phone call at least. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skid Row

:yes: Having owned and operated a radiator shop in the 80's a 4 core can be drawn up and built to fit your tanks" (Unless your bottom tank is to small. However, a three row 22" radiator will cool any power plant, Unless it is restricted(Stopped up) under most normal operating conditions.

72 Challenger

72 Challenger

Quote from: Skid Row on October 08, 2021, 06:33:13 AM
:yes: Having owned and operated a radiator shop in the 80's a 4 core can be drawn up and built to fit your tanks" (Unless your bottom tank is to small. However, a three row 22" radiator will cool any power plant, Unless it is restricted(Stopped up) under most normal operating conditions.

I have been on this journey all summer. I ran a 160* thermostat then a 185* no change. Swapped the rad hoses incase they were collapsing to a bottom one with a spring. Changed the water pump to a higher flowing unit incase the old one was bust, Paid a company to flush the block, still have the same issue, admittedly it's better but right now the car stays cooool in the city. It could sit in traffic allll day. On the highway? the temps creep up. I can go about 20ish miles at 70 MPH with a 3.55 rear gear on a day where the air temp is in the 70's till it hits 210*.  If the day is hotter that can be as short as 5 miles.

I am making the decisions that the original rad just can't cool the 416 stroker. I have literally replaced everything else. Cooler plugs, reduce timing.

autoxcuda

Quote from: 72 Challenger on October 08, 2021, 08:44:07 AM
Quote from: Skid Row on October 08, 2021, 06:33:13 AM

I have been on this journey all summer. I ran a 160* thermostat then a 185* no change. Swapped the rad hoses incase they were collapsing to a bottom one with a spring. Changed the water pump to a higher flowing unit incase the old one was bust, Paid a company to flush the block, still have the same issue, admittedly it's better but right now the car stays cooool in the city. It could sit in traffic allll day. On the highway? the temps creep up. I can go about 20ish miles at 70 MPH with a 3.55 rear gear on a day where the air temp is in the 70's till it hits 210*.  If the day is hotter that can be as short as 5 miles.

I am making the decisions that the original rad just can't cool the 416 stroker. I have literally replaced everything else. Cooler plugs, reduce timing.

My friend regularly drives a 68 Hemi Dart with OE radiator. And he doesn't even have a shroud (original cars didn't). He has a high density core 3 row. There are more tubes per inch and there is a higher concentration/count of fins.

We live in a hot valley in So Cal that's 85-100 all summer.

My 416 has a cheap 22" champion 4 core with a home made shroud and jag fan clutch.

One thing both of us did was hand pick and clean all the passages of the interior of the bare block when we rebuild it.

More than anything is tune. Proper carb and timing.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

70vert

I have found the ECP radiators to be the most OE looking of all aftermarket, and very high quality.

https://speedcooling.com/product/22-mopar-big-block-hd-aluminum-radiator/

In my radiator search (440 in a 383 car with 22" radiator, in Houston) I read several articles that say 4 row gives no improvement, that a 3 row with bigger tubes is better. Could still be all marketing, but just FYI.

ledphoot

I used Glen-Ray radiators to get a correct looking good performing radiator for my Cuda.

http://www.restorationradiators.com/

erik70rt

I had a stock 22" radiator for a '68 Barracuda rebuilt/restored by Glen Ray.  They built me a 4 row core on the original tanks and it was a great job. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

autoxcuda

Quote from: ledphoot on October 08, 2021, 11:48:21 AM
I used Glen-Ray radiators to get a correct looking good performing radiator for my Cuda.

http://www.restorationradiators.com/

Same guy with 68 Hemi Dart built a twin 68 Hemi Barracuda 4spd and used a Glen Ray radiator. That car has a Siamese Block, so he was a little more concerned. So far, no issues. 
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...