Started by blown motor, May 19, 2020, 08:46:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

750-h2

Pretty sure that car was part of the Steve Juliano collection, it sold at the Mecum auction a few years ago. I think it sold for around $600,000?

JH27N0B

It was one of Steve Julianos cars and was at the Indy Mecum auction last May.  I believe it did show sold for around 600K, but it seems like that wasn't necessarily true since it's been in another Mecum since.  It is one of the cars Mecum bought from Steve months before Steve died.  Mecum also bought the 71 hemi sunroof Challenger but that hasn't shown up for sale yet.

headejm

Yes, I would like to own that car.  :ohyeah:

RzeroB

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 19, 2020, 09:10:21 AM
It was one of Steve Julianos cars and was at the Indy Mecum auction last May.  I believe it did show sold for around 600K, but it seems like that wasn't necessarily true since it's been in another Mecum since.  It is one of the cars Mecum bought from Steve months before Steve died.  Mecum also bought the 71 hemi sunroof Challenger but that hasn't shown up for sale yet.

I was at the 2019 Indy auction and saw this car cross the block and "sell" ... or at least I thought that it sold?? There is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" at these auctions with all of the "shill-bidding", "fake buyers" and such, propping up the price. Then, even if you "think" it sold (as in this case) you find out that it was all a grand illusion when you see the same car at another auction a few months later. At last years MCACN show I was privy to a casual conversation between some collectors and I was very surprised by just how much of this stuff actually goes on at these auctions ... it was a real eye opener for me. Finally, as for the '71 sunroof car, I heard from the same collectors that Mecum (Dana) liked the '71 car so much that he decided to keep it and put it in his own personal collection.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JH27N0B

One of the guys I work with at MCACN also works at Mecum auctions and he told me Mecum has a ton of cars stored all over the place in southern WI.  It would be interesting to know at a given auction, how many "consigned" cars there are actually owned by Mecum.  In watching the listings for upcoming auctions, I recognize cars from previous auctions all the time.
My coworker also told me that there is some sort of "signal" when Mecum is bidding on one of the cars running in their auction, but even being there behind the scenes, he hasn't figured out the signal yet.
They will often give customers with collections the option to sell the cars to them, rather than consigning them and waiting to see how things play out on the auction.  That seems on the up and up.  But some of the other games they play, like chandelier bidding, and short hammering cars when there may still be bids coming in (especially if the auction house is trying to buy the car), are pretty sleazy tactics. I'm sure when the bidder assistants see the signal Mecum is bidding, they don't twist bidders arms very hard, or may even "not notice" someone trying to place a bid.

Mopsquad

I love the colour combo and most of all, the "six-way power bucket seats"   8)

But seriously, a dream car for me.

cudamadd

Very nice car . But when it comes to money an auction singal  is always a possibility  :dunno:

Brads70

Pretty car! Not in my realm of possibilities though.

Fastmark

I know a guy that sold 21 cars to Dana Mecum a few years ago in a fire sale.  They were sold off at an auction that I attended just to watch because I knew the exact dollar that was paid for the cars. They sold them consecutively. Mecum was on stage pumping up the cars and dragging out the bids. He was nervous for the first few cars. They were the lesser ones. When he got to the break even point, he got all giddy. The final gavel fell and he made a cool one mil off the deal. The guy I know that sold the cars to Dana lost 1.3 mil.

anlauto

Quote from: Fastmark on May 19, 2020, 06:35:09 PM
I know a guy that sold 21 cars to Dana Mecum a few years ago in a fire sale.  They were sold off at an auction that I attended just to watch because I knew the exact dollar that was paid for the cars. They sold them consecutively. Mecum was on stage pumping up the cars and dragging out the bids. He was nervous for the first few cars. They were the lesser ones. When he got to the break even point, he got all giddy. The final gavel fell and he made a cool one mil off the deal. The guy I know that sold the cars to Dana lost 1.3 mil.

CA CHING :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

dodj

I'd like to have pockets deep enough to spend $600k on a car, and if I did I probably wouldn't buy an ebody with it.  :alan2cents:
Once you're spending $600k,  a LOT of interesting vehicles become available.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

headejm

@Mopsquad  I'd like to compliment you on your cool profile pic! I believe it is my favorite one on this site.  :ohyeah:

worthywads

Challenger inner door panels without the woodgrain insert are one of those non-options I don't like.  How could it have come with all those options including Rimblow but plain doors?  Just looks like a mistake.