Main Menu

Rear Leaf Springs

Started by johnr, September 20, 2022, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

johnr

:huh:  Recently I was talking with a man about the '70 Challenger that I am resurrecting. He told me that the rear springs for the 440 & Hemi cars had six leaves on one side and five leaves on the other. Is this true for some of the cars ???
--  johnr  --

MEK-Dangerous

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: johnr on September 20, 2022, 10:16:25 AM
:huh:  Recently I was talking with a man about the '70 Challenger that I am resurrecting. He told me that the rear springs for the 440 & Hemi cars had six leaves on one side and five leaves on the other. Is this true for some of the cars ???

Not an expert on this, but I believe that the "Hemi" springs were not limited to Hemi and 440 cars.  As I understand it, 383 (and maybe even 340) cars would be equipped with the "Hemi" springs with the right rear axle package.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in to confirm.

6bblgt

yes, ALL 340s and 383s with an axle package - A31 (3.91s), A36 (3.55s) & ALL 440HP, 440+6 & HEMI 1970 e-bodies have "staggered" 3400024 RH/3400034 LH rear leaf springs

DeathProofCuda

@6bblgt

Are all these springs staggered?

I just dug out the original "Hemi" springs from my 70 Cuda 383.  They have the correct part numbers 024 and 034, which match my broadcast sheet, but I don't see any difference in the number of leaves on them.  The only "staggering" that I see is that the thickest part of the spring is toward to front of the spring for one and toward the back of the spring for the other. :notsure:

Chryco Psycho

All performance springs were staggered in some way , as you say the 1/2 leafs are different .
440 & Hemi were even more different & The SS springs are staggered also

6bblgt

this is the best picture I have

looks like they are both 5 & 1/2 leaf
3400024 RH with the 1/2 forward
3400034 LH with the 1/2 to the rear

I can get additional pics tomorrow

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 20, 2022, 08:35:21 PM

looks like they are both 5 & 1/2 leaf
3400024 RH with the 1/2 forward
3400034 LH with the 1/2 to the rear

That is consistent with what my set of 024/034 springs look like.

HP2

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 20, 2022, 02:03:32 PM
@6bblgt

I just dug out the original "Hemi" springs from my 70 Cuda 383.  They have the correct part numbers 024 and 034, which match my broadcast sheet, but I don't see any difference in the number of leaves on them.  The only "staggering" that I see is that the thickest part of the spring is toward to front of the spring for one and toward the back of the spring for the other. :notsure:

This is how E bodies were staggered. B bodies received the extra right hand half leaves.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: HP2 on September 24, 2022, 07:03:19 AM
Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 20, 2022, 02:03:32 PM
@6bblgt

This is how E bodies were staggered. B bodies received the extra right hand half leaves.

:cheers: Thanks for the info @HP2

johnr

So,  I take it all of the e-bodies had the staggered 1/2 leaf with 5 full leaves on the big block cars. Although, some of the B-body cars did get an extra leaf on the right side ?
--  johnr  --

6bblgt

for 1970 the 024/034 springs were STANDARD on 440HP 440+6 & HEMI & OPTIONAL on 383HP

johnr

:)  Great info as always; Thanks.
--  johnr  --

johnr

:thinking:  Is there anyone out there that has had any experience with these leaf springs from Summit Racing?  https://www.summitracing.com/search?N=part-type%3Aleaf-springs&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=DCC-P4452985
These are supposed to be from Mopar Performance that has recently changed it's name back to Direct Connection.
--  johnr  --

HP2

Those are reproductions of the original HD springs packs found under 440 and Hemi cars. They have the original leaf count, orientation, bias, and control capabilities...ie they look exactly like original when installed, which means they appear nearly flat when installed and loaded and do not lift the rear of the car at all.