Main Menu

Rear Window Louvers

Started by JSmithTN, April 05, 2022, 10:22:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JSmithTN

Is there anyone that knows of another rear window louver manufactures other that Dale's?
I like the ones that Dale's manufactures, but I'm not at all wanting to drill any holes in the body.
I had aftermarket Aluminum rear window louvers on my first 'Cuda, that was back in 1980.
There were (3) mounting plates, (1) across the top of the rear window and (1) on each side, these mounting pieces slid under the window molding and required no drilling. the top had the hinges mounted to the plate and the sides had a "barrel nut" type stud that took a 1/4 - 20 socket head cap screw to hold the louver down.
I sure wish I could find someone making that style.
Also was there a build code for the louvers, part of a package or were they just a dealer add on?
Thanks in advance for any information.

cuda hunter

Package A67

Barracuda backlite louver package
LH remote/RH manual painted racing mirrors
Backlite louvers w/ black backlite mouldings
Note: If vinyl top is ordered it must be a black V1X
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

for 1971:

Barracuda A67 "backlight louver package" $171.00 - includes:
V1X - black vinyl top $82.40
G36 (or G31/G33?) - dual racing mirrors $25.75
J68 - louver ($62.85 remaining $)

Challenger A44 "louver package" $88.65 - includes:
G36 (or G31/G33?) - dual racing mirrors $25.75
J68 - louver ($62.90 remaining $)

the rear window louver J68 was NOT a stand alone orderable OPTION

from
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/window-louver-question/1338/

6bblgt

the factory installed rear window louvers were installed with hinges mounted at the top & pins mounted thru the dutchman panel

over the years there have been several aftermarket louvers sold for Barracudas & Challengers made of plastic, aluminum & other, the majority of which are probably from the '70s & '80s

Racer57

Is there any markings that verify factory supplied ?

6bblgt

AFAIK there are no identifying part numbers or labels on original louvers - the manner of construction/welds are clues to originality

Cudino

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 05, 2022, 07:38:00 PM
for 1971:
the rear window louver J68 was NOT a stand alone orderable OPTION
Dan,

You are exactly right, but at least code-wise there is one interesting oddity.  The Egypt export '71 Hemicuda has 5 "A" code options A01, A22, A34, A45, and A62, but is also coded for J68 Louvers yet without the A67 package.  My guess is that 5 A codes were expected to be the limit (and would fill up that box on the broadcast sheet), and anyway the mirrors would already be included with A22.  So I'm wondering if on this particular car the V1X and J68 were both coded and priced separately, or maybe was priced with A67 but then included a discount of ~$25.75 for the duplicated mirrors. Unfortunately this car doesn't have a window sticker, but it would be very interesting to see what one with 6 A codes would look like.  And in general I would also be interested in seeing what a WS looks like for a Cuda with both A21/A22 and A67.

- Wade

6bblgt

there was recently a 'cuda posted on here with a broadcast sheet & a fender tag
6 "A" codes on the broadcast sheet, one being on the bottom of the sheet where "excess codes" are printed - but only 5 on the fender tag

from what I've seen OPTION packages were NOT discounted when they overlapped components

cuda hunter

@Cudino    Is there a picture of the Egyptian ebodies fender tag?   Or the car?   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cudino

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 06, 2022, 07:21:48 AM
Yep, awesome car, and absolutely loaded!  It is owned by Dave Saruk, who I believe is a member here.  I don't know his username, if anyone can tag him that would be great, he'd be best to provide this info.

- Wade

198D13

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 06, 2022, 07:21:48 AM

The car is from Lebanon, not Egypt.

mccannix

I know Dave is a member of the other board , not sure about here.
MCG did an article on the car with pictures a couple years ago about the same time he
was trying to get it to Canada from abroad.
Was an interesting article but I'm sure Dave could ad lots to the story.

mo6pak

Hey JSmithTN, i own a set of the aluminum rear window louvers that you mount under the rear window moulding. Unfortunately they are for a Challenger. I bought them from Year One about 30 years ago back when they were located in Tucker Ga. They are still in the original bag, i was going to put them on my T/A. I agree with you, I couldnt bring myself to drill holes for the factory ones especially if they didnt originally come installed. Maybe you could give Year One a call and inquire? Hope that helps.

fuscobros

I have a 71 Cuda with factory rear louvers and 5 A codes.  Here's a pic of the fender tags and broadcast sheet if it helps.  I'm no expert at deciphering codes, option packages etc.  Perhaps someone can take a look and gleam some valuable information.  Interestingly the rear moldings under the louvers around the back window are NOT black textured like they are supposed to be.  I bought the car from the second owner who purchased it in 1973 from the original owner with only 6,000 miles on it. It has 64k on the clock now and I'll be starting a full restoration this summer. Everything on the car is virtually untouched and I have no reason to believe the moldings were ever changed to chrome...why would they?  Just one of those odd things that may have happened on the assembly line. Same with the argent color shaker bubble...should be black, but the person I bought the car from swears it was never changed...of course anything is possible...maybe the original owner swapped the black for argent at the dealer when taking delivery...unlikely but you never know?

JSmithTN

@Cudino,
I will try to reach out and ask, I'm not very hopeful though, if they were still out there I'm sure that they would be selling them.
Thanks