Main Menu

Refinishing dash

Started by ledphoot, February 21, 2019, 12:16:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

So I am digging In to the interior and got the dash out. It looks like shit and need a complete refinish. I am considering having it powder coated, has anybody done this? Any ideas on the proper color? Matte black / shadow black? Any tips?

70 Challenger Lover

Cody has a video on steering column rebuilding which includes painting the texture black finish for columns and dash frames. It is sort of a satin black but there is texture to it that he explains how to do.

Djdimart64

I am relatively new to the refinishing part, but I don't think all years have the textured finish. I'll check my body FSM to find the correct color but that may only apply to 1973 models.

HP2

Working on my dash and found Ace brand satin black spray paint to be an almost perfect match. While rattle can paint is not as durable as a mix with hardener, it does significantly improve the look of the plastic parts I'm using it on.  With a good scrubbing and a pre-paint wipe down with acetone, I've had pretty good luck with adhesion and durability.

70/6chall

I'm with HP2 the rattle can Satin black from Ace seems to be spot on.If your interested in something that looks good but don't want to go to the trouble of anything more durable this will work. But remember prep the surface well, this is the key to success in any top coat. I also use something called Auto Prep Sol, I picked up from an Auto paint supplier.  Thanks,   Al

anlauto

I don't know if you can achieve the "factory look" with powder coat ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on February 21, 2019, 10:40:33 AM
I don't know if you can achieve the "factory look" with powder coat ? :thinking:
Wouldn't be able to make it perfect but they make a powder coat textured black that's pretty close.
First pic is powder coat.
Second pic is suede PPG dash paint.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ragtopdodge

I did my old 71 gran coupe by using rattle can texture paint.

Then, go over it after drying, with some 3000 grit wet sandpaper to help knock off the thick texture.

76orangewagon

I did both, I had the dash frame powder coated in a 80% gloss black to add protection and durability to the front and back then scuffed the visible surfaces and sprayed the correct Black Suede from Instrument Specialties.

ledphoot

This is good stuff!

Thanks.. So there is a texture eh? Hard to tell with this old beau up dash... I am getting this powder coated, no doubt, it doesn't have to look stock / original, just GOOD and consistent.. :)

I can't rattle can anything, it'll look like crap if I do that, trust me, I know... Will go down to the powder coat shop and see if I can get a nice lightly textured / flat or satin black.

THANKS...

Here's a couple shots of the interior with the dash out.. Got some cleanup to do in here, but not too bad at all.

ledphoot

Quote from: 76orangewagon on February 21, 2019, 02:58:45 PM
I did both, I had the dash frame powder coated in a 80% gloss black to add protection and durability to the front and back then scuffed the visible surfaces and sprayed the correct Black Suede from Instrument Specialties.

Dang $199 a pint!!!! Crazy... Thank you for the photo, I will talk to the powder coat guys and see what they come up with. Like I said, it doesn't have to look original, I just want it to look really good, not out of place and be low maintenance / durable.

Edit:

been doing more research online.. many say this satin black is close

https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-satin-black.html

others say this textured horror black is closer

https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-black-texture.html

HP2

Powder has really evolved in textures, tones, and colors. Mild to heavy texture, hammertones, veining, levels of matte, pearls, metallics,  even some finishes that look like chromate plating are out there.

This is the company we use where I work. http://www.cardinalpaint.com/powder/

ledphoot

Taking it to a powder coat shop in Lodi on Friday, I have a few colors in mind.. Lead time is a MONTH :) Hopefully that's realistic and not a "Body Shop" month..  Thanks for all of your help guys!

vinsar

Google SEM spray paints. They are automotive grade, very durable and reasonably priced. you will be very happy with them.