Main Menu

Replacing a gas tank in a 74' Cuda

Started by mopar thunder, December 22, 2019, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

I was wondering, from all the experience on this site, before I change out the gas tank what suggestions would you have for additional parts I should or may have to replace along with the tank?Nothing is leaking and lines look good.

Spikedog08

Filler grommet . .  Tank pad . . If the straps are ok and the j hooks come undone  . . Should do it. 

:bigthumb:.
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

71vert340

Any fuel line hoses used to attach tank sending unit or vents. I just did this on my 74 Charger. Oh and sending unit gasket.

RUNCHARGER

I would have new J-hooks on hand before starting the project, Fuel line hose is easy to access locally but plan on changing it. You might as well order a new filler neck grommet as well.
Sheldon

71vert340

There may also be some surface rust on the bottom of the trunk floor, so you may want to tackle that before installing new tank. If you are reusing the old pickup/sending unit, a new filter on pickup tube is advised also.
Terry

headejm

Make sure you have a good ground between the fuel outlet tube and the fuel line. The gas gauge gremlins show up if the ground strap/ground is bad or missing.  :ohyeah:

71vert340

Good point Headejm. I cleaned the steel fuel lines and the ground strap to ensure I had a great ground across the fuel hose. Checked the ohms with an ohmmeter from the sending unit to the car frame. The steel fuel line clamps that clamp the fuel line along the frame provide the ground to body. They may need to be cleaned if the ground isn't good.
Terry

anlauto

Roseville Moparts puts together a nice complete "gas tank package" that will give you everything you need, and members here get a discount too :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mopar thunder

Quote from: anlauto on December 22, 2019, 11:40:42 AM
Roseville Moparts puts together a nice complete "gas tank package" that will give you everything you need, and members here get a discount too :twothumbsup:

I didn't know that. I ordered the tank from Roseville but Dave was out and someone else helped me. I'll go back in and ask for that.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration