Main Menu

Reproduction outboard speaker grills for 3 speaker dash on 70 Challenger

Started by 70RTSE383, January 06, 2022, 01:43:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

Im considering having the outboard speaker holes opened up when I have my dash repadded by ABC. Does anyone reproduce these? My center grill is fine.

Thanks
John
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

shawge

I haven't seen any reproductions offered, originals are often hard to come by and  :bigmoney:
Would be nice if they can be 3d printed.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70RTSE383

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think I going to do it do to the cost of grills and associate parts. If they were re-popped then maybe.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Bengoldman

I've got a pair of 70 speaker grilles that im going to CAD and start to make some reproductions once im done with finals. I'll have them modeled sometime in June and have some prototypes ready within a week of that. Hopefully will have some ready to sell by mid summer if everything goes to plan.

anlauto

Quote from: Bengoldman on May 06, 2022, 07:40:44 PM
I've got a pair of 70 speaker grilles that im going to CAD and start to make some reproductions once im done with finals. I'll have them modeled sometime in June and have some prototypes ready within a week of that. Hopefully will have some ready to sell by mid summer if everything goes to plan.

Are you planning on using plastic ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bengoldman

I will be making them out of aluminum, the initial prototype will be 3D printed just to ensure they have the right fitment before I create any molde.

70vert

I've always wondered why the main/center grill was plastic while the outboard grills were aluminum. The plastic center grill takes a beating in the sun!

Bengoldman

Ive always wondered that aswell, making the centers out of pot metal wouldn't have been that costly and they would never be damaged by the heat/sun.

Mr Cuda

Quote from: Bengoldman on May 07, 2022, 07:40:09 AM
I will be making them out of aluminum, the initial prototype will be 3D printed just to ensure they have the right fitment before I create any molde.
I know how these projects go. Do you have an estimated cost for the 2 grills?
Minus the extra parts needed, how does it compare to factory parts?

Bengoldman

Quote from: Mr Cuda on May 07, 2022, 03:07:50 PM
I know how these projects go. Do you have an estimated cost for the 2 grills?
Minus the extra parts needed, how does it compare to factory parts?

I haven't started on the project yet as I'm still taking engineering finals for school. I'll have to look what the originals cost and determine cost off of materials and the cost of originals aswell. My goal is to make them as close to original as possible and affordable

Rich G.

What are the outer originals worth and is there enough of a demand to go through the effort to make them?

Katfish

Nice originals seem to go for $150.
I'd think $75 for aluminum repos would sell.
Best case scenario you might have 1000 customers.
So $75k, more realistically probably 1/3 of that.

So minus expenses, maybe looking at $25k possibly?

Mr Cuda

I ended up interested in this thread  because I  have a set  to sell.
$150 is a bit low, in my opinion,  although I have seen  oxidized ones on Ebay missing speakers for that.
Manufacturing costs are high and after programming,  run time will be more than $75 each.
I know  nothing about  metal 3d printing or it's  costs.
Demand is probably limited to 100.

69BFan

From the stand point of looking to do the speaker grills, there is a market for them.  The obstacle is cost and the sales potential.  Many of the guys who are looking to replace dash pads would like the option to add the additional speakers.  We have looked into the project, but at this time with so much going on and the fact that we have a full plate, it has been shelved.

@Bengoldman, some things to think about are the fact that the 70 Challenger grilles are a one year only piece, which will severely limit your demand.  Sure you can ask more money for them, but what is the break even point?  Secondly, most guys who will be in the market who will be looking to purchase the grills will want the most correct appearing and fitting piece that can duplicate an OEM piece.  If a guy spends $1000 for a new pad plus possibly more dollars on shipping and a core, they will hold out to purchase the most correct piece as possible.  Thirdly, I believe that for the project to be successful, then you will need to offer the grills as a complete kit which include the reinforcement plates, which have been reproduced, along with speakers.

The guys who are building the restomods who are keeping the stock appearing dash pads will be the primary buyers in my opinion.  Then you will have the guys who are restoring cars to an original appearance who would like to add the speakers for the additional sound improvement.  From being involved with over 30 years of bringing products to the market, then it is much easier to sell a more expensive and truly correct piece than a cheaper unit which does not duplicate the originals in both fit and appearance. 

Good luck with the project as I know that the dash guys would be interested in purchasing them at a wholesale level and offering them with the dash pads that they sell.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.