Main Menu

Saginaw Pump Rebuild?

Started by Convertcuda, February 12, 2019, 05:12:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

The hardest part was splitting the pump from the can. Take a small wooden block (1/2" or so thick) and lay it on the can. Take a screwdriver and pry, using the thick part of the pump as the pivot point. Keep working it, and you'll unseat it, and you won't create even the slightest mar!

I need some help finding out what part is loose on mine because I don't have any experience with these. For you Facebookers, please see this video. I'm assuming the "looseness" is with the propeller stem itself, OR that the bushing just needs to be replace. I really need an expert on these pumps in order to access what the looseness is coming from:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ebodies/permalink/2400773779968110/

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

I got a new shaft bushing put in.

I notice on my old one that there's a shiny spot. not sure if that's normal or not. I would think not normal.

My next step is to take the propeller completely appart and have the shaft tested for straightness.

Right now it's the shaft + propeller round base + c-clip. There is thrust play here, which I assume is normal? I looked on a parts diagrame and there shouldn't be a washer behind the c-clip, which would provide an easy answer to my "too much play" saga....

kawahonda

I'm going to assume the shaft is straight just by spinning it in my hand. It don't look off at all.

The pulley though: how imperfect is the saginaw pulley allowed to be? Should I drop it off to some auto place to have it checked?

In other news, painted, so it's time to assemble and look closer.

Question: does the "flat" side of the fins go into the propeller, or does the rounded side? My intuition says flat side.

Is there any words of warnings or "gotchas" that I need to know before i proceed?