Main Menu

Sam Posey #76

Started by IRON MAN, December 08, 2017, 10:59:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

the above pics of an air cleaner (I've seen 3) & hood plate that (I've seen 1) @IRON MAN posted are mine

the air cleaner is listed in the parts catalog as 1970-'71 Challenger "J" with 340 4bbl & fiberglass hood & appear to be the same unit used on the racecars with double stacked filters and non-production lids

at this point in time the hood plate is believed to be a production piece (racecars appear to be aluminum glued to the hood - no rivets/screws to fall into the engine compartment)

6bblgt

I sure would like to know what 3577458 looks like  :brainiac:

IRON MAN

This thread with it's pictures and comments got me wondering....why substitute three-two-barrels for a single four-barrel? So, I looked in the SCCA 1970 Edition Rule Book and found this:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: The 6bbl setup was a sales gimmick I suppose but we're all glad they did it.
Sheldon

MOPAR MITCH

I believe the '67-68-69 SCCA T/A rules allowed multi-carbs (cross-rams were common on GMs and some AMCs, in-line carbs for the Fords, etc), so the six-bbl was Mopar's intro... logic?... to go along with the BB engines at the time??

The vintage SCCA T/A series is still my all-time favorite!   Love watching the cars run in last few years up at Road America (Elkhart Lk, WI).

HP2

True. I recall seeing a low profile cross ram with dual quads for the original Z28 302 engine program. I don't doubt SCCA went to the single four rule for simplicity of enforcement and cost containment for teams. IIRC, they weren't particularly fond of the big time Detriot factory efforts dumping cubic dollars into their sports car programs.

Brads70

Quote from: HP2 on December 13, 2017, 07:54:09 AM
they weren't particularly fond of the big time Detriot factory efforts dumping cubic dollars into their sports car programs.

I bet they would kill to have that now.....

HP2

I dunno. They still fancy themselves as an every man racing entity. Their Pro efforts are still all relatively low key.