Main Menu

Space Saver Date Code Help Needed

Started by Convertcuda, April 19, 2017, 04:38:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Convertcuda

My 70 Cuda was built April 21st of 1970. The space saver I found is date coded the 10 month 14th day of 69. Would this work? If not what date should I be looking for. Thanks for any help. If someone with a AAR or TA could let me know what their space saver date coded would be a great help since those cars are built about the same time.

Thanks Ken

Cuda Cody

I think I have one for my Cuda that I can check and see the date code....  if you can tell me where to look to decode?  :huh:

My guess would be anywhere from a few weeks to 90 and maybe even 120 days before the scheduled build date of the car.  So yours might be on the longer side of normal, but well within reason of possible. 

Remember that there are a lot of reasons that the dates can vary from car to car.  For example, my buddies un-restored (all numbers matching, tag, build sheet) 1970 Challenger 440+6 has a very late build date and his engine was cast almost 12 months before.  It was hard to believe until I saw it in person.  I would have said 30 to 120 days would have been a normal casting date in front.  Then I read Dave's book and he had a note about most late 1970 440+6 and 1971 440+6 had engines with 69 casting dates.  So I'm saying that because your date is very well within a window of possibility and it would be hard to know for sure unless you had the original to compare too.   :alan2cents:

Convertcuda

The numbers are to left and right of valve stem.
Mine reads 9 for year then 10th for month valve stem then 14th.

fc7cuda

Ken,

6 months sounds like a stretch to me on that spare date.   :alan2cents:
I know it's a space saver and they may not have been used as quickly on the line as the standard spare, but sure sounds like I'd try to get one a little closer to my SPD.  Hopefully you'll get some feedback from others with build dates around yours. 

Tom

Convertcuda

Thanks Tom, I hope I do.  The car is so close to being done.

Ken

Cuda Cody

fc7cuda

2944250 is a spare from a Volare/Aspen F-body.  Sorry Cody.  :('
looks to be 4/18/1977

Don't shoot me.  :'(

Cuda Cody

That's good to know!  I grabbed Galen's book (he has 2944250 as a 70 / 71 E-Body spare) and went to my spares to find the one I thought was out of the Cuda.  I'll have to go back out and look again at the other spare wheels to find the one out of the Cuda.  What number should I be looking for?

Quote from: fc7cuda on April 19, 2017, 03:50:19 PM
looks to be 4/18/1977

Cuda Cody

I snapped a photo of the 1st two on the pile.  They are stored way up so I didn't get them all down.  But the 2nd one I took a photo of didn't look to have a part number.  Just a faint K2/9 then 10 * 8 with a faint 5  5.

750-h2

Cody that second one is correct for a 1970. It should not have a part# on it. K2/9 stands for Kelsey rim style and year. 10 8 is the date and 5.5 is the rim width.

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 19, 2017, 03:56:29 PM
That's good to know!  I grabbed Galen's book (he has 2944250 as a 70 / 71 E-Body spare) and went to my spares to find the one I thought was out of the Cuda.  I'll have to go back out and look again at the other spare wheels to find the one out of the Cuda.  What number should I be looking for?

Quote from: fc7cuda on April 19, 2017, 03:50:19 PM
looks to be 4/18/1977

70-71 SS did not have a 7 digit number on them.

fc7cuda

Here's mine.

fc7cuda

Quote from: 750-h2 on April 19, 2017, 05:23:29 PM
Cody that second one is correct for a 1970. It should not have a part# on it. K2/9 stands for Kelsey rim style and year. 10 8 is the date and 5.5 is the rim width.

:iagree: and the 2 is the plant location(corrected, thanks Dan).

Convertcuda

Here's the one I have.

headejm

Here is mine. SPD May 1970.