Main Menu

What did the space saver come out of?

Started by SeventyTX9RTRag, November 27, 2019, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SeventyTX9RTRag

Since this wheel is painted orange what did it come out of? Could it be for an AAR? It is in a AAR now.

Thanks

JH27N0B

SeventyTX9RTRag

mccannix

Cant go by the wheel color for a definate answer.
Check the tire size and let us know what it says
AMC never had a spacesaver tire larger than E-78.
However there have been a couple cases where an orange rim
with an F-78-14 tire has been found in trunk of E-body, one owned by a board member here.
L7CU silkscreen seen on your tire could be an F-78-14 tire

JH27N0B

Interesting, I never heard of a Mopar space saver painted other than black.  Learn something new every day.  On a similar note, most E body jack hooks are dove gray, but I've seen a couple including the one in my friend Glens 71 Challenger that are dark green.  He bought his car in '73 and said that's how the hook has been since he bought it.
But in the case of this space saver, it isn't just the orange color that had me saying AMC.  The wheel has ribs or protrusions between each wheel lug hole, which the AMC wheels had, whereas Mopars are flat between the holes.
https://www.ebay.com/i/193225201788?
If the tire is F78, it should be removed and try to find a correct Mopar space saver rim to mount it on, the AMC wheel itself has little value. The correct V-1 F78 tires are getting pretty rare though.  If it's D78, its all AMC, but the wheel can be painted black and the spare used as a close substitute until an original but not cheap original Mopar space saver can be found. :alan2cents:

mccannix

I had never heard of an E-body spacesaver either being other than black and , yes, flat faced with no nubs between the lug holes.
And I have no first hand knowledge, never having seen one other than the accepted rim we all know.
However some time ago, Bob, the Radiatorman posted pictures of an orange rim like this one, yellow decal, nubs between holes with a correct  F-78-14, V-1 tire in a car he had/has, early build and asked if it was possibly correct as if I recall, the complete car history was known.
I believe someone else chimed in saying they had the same.
I'm not implying it is correct, just relaying the same was found in another E-body.

So if the original poster gets back with the tire size as asked, we could know more.
If not an F-78-14, V-1, and is a B, D or E as they are the only AMC spacesaver tire sizes, then agreed is just an AMC deal.
The L7CU is what got my attention since it is seen with an F-78-14.

anlauto

Is it possible other manufactures, other than AMC used an orange rim ? possibly with a larger "F" tire ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SeventyTX9RTRag

I will let you guys know once I get the car.

SeventyTX9RTRag

Just got this AAR today that I inquiring about the spare tire.

Here is the tire and jack.

anlauto

The jack base and inflator bottle are correct. FYI: ECS sells new labels for the bottle :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

mccannix

Interesting  :dunno:
It now appears it could be an AMC combo.
I was always under the impression that the largest AMC B F Goodrich space saver tire was an E-78-14.
You'll have to see if it is a direct fit on a Mopar hub and report back again.
I know Ford wheel center opening is smaller when fitting on a Mopar hub
I notice the lack of V-1

anlauto

I like it when the veterans of the hobby see something new for the first time :clapping:
Is it safe to say that no 70-71 Mopar ever had an orange rim for a spare ?

So you have the right size tire, it would be easy enough to paint the rim black :alan2cents:  may not be 100% but who would notice?

6bblgt

what is the DOT code on the tire & the dates stamped in the wheel (on the center & by the valve stem)?

js27

My 70 R/T Vert had a orange space saver in it when I bought it-Can't say 100% it was factory though.
JS27

SeventyTX9RTRag

I will take a picture of the date code and post it.

I also have a letter from BF Goodrich about the a recall for these wheels with a new sticker to put on the wheel. I will read it and post pictures.

This car came with a ton of docs, original window sticker, build sheet, original owners manual, invoices from the 70's. Original paint, 57K mile car with original drive train. I went all over it yesterday with my paint gauge and recorded 5 - 7 mills of paint thickness except on the top of the quarters. 10 - 12 mills there so must had been repainted. My paint gauge is a cheapo from Harbor Freight. But I compared to it my original paint W30 that just came back from MCACN where that car took Vintage Legend and I think this AAR is mostly original paint.
Will post pictures.

Thanks