Main Menu

Space Saver Date Code Help Needed

Started by Convertcuda, April 19, 2017, 04:38:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Quote from: fc7cuda on April 19, 2017, 05:27:50 PM
Here's mine.

@fc7cuda What kind of valve stem is that? Is it factory or aftermarket? Never seen one of those.  :notsure:

6bblgt

K2/9 decodes as:
K = Kelsey-Hayes (manufacturer)
2 = plant #2 (location)
9 = 1969 (year)

6bblgt

Quote from: headejm on April 19, 2017, 07:53:12 PM
What kind of valve stem is that? Is it factory or aftermarket? Never seen one of those.  :notsure:

there was a recall/retro-fit on the space saver spares, something related to adding an over-pressure relief valve (as seen in @fc7cuda pic)

Convertcuda

Hi,

Thanks for the picture. Do you know if that spacer saver is original to your car?

fc7cuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 19, 2017, 08:51:36 PM
Quote from: headejm on April 19, 2017, 07:53:12 PM
What kind of valve stem is that? Is it factory or aftermarket? Never seen one of those.  :notsure:

there was a recall/retro-fit on the space saver spares, something related to adding an over-pressure relief valve (as seen in @fc7cuda pic)

I believe the valve to be correct, and the SS does not appear to have ever been used.  But what Dan has posted is all I have been able to find researching it.  Supposedly there was a recall letter sent to owners of record with the single valve type for it to be replaced with this "pop off" dual type valve due to people over inflating the tire.  I'm sure most skipped it, but my car was a "Q" code car and I suspect the valve was properly replaced.  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

I don't think mine was original, but I can't say for sure.    :notsure:  The car was apart when I got it.

Quote from: Convertcuda on April 20, 2017, 04:30:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the picture. Do you know if that spacer saver is original to your car?

1 Wild R/T

The space saver spare recall was one of the first times I remember seeing a recall in the evening news...  Apparently a spacer saver had blown up & the guy who was filling it was severely injured... For many years people had zero interest in having those "bombs" in their trunk & thats part of why they are hard to find these days..... Back in the 80's-90's a few of the dealerships I worked in had brand new take off space savers from back in the day when customers demanded a full size spare the space savers would wind up in the parts room when it sat for twenty years before I came along & asked the parts manager about them.... And the answer was always the same we just haven't thrown them away.... I hauled probably 50+ out of parts rooms to swap meets where I'd unload them for $50.... People were happy to get them, I was happy to get $$ & the parts manager had his space back....

B5Cuda440-6

headejm, is your spare an 11, 14 date? If so, it's interesting that you have a Nov 14th, 1969 rim for a May build date. If your spare is original, it just goes to prove that some cars could have been delivered with space-saver spares made 6 months in advance of the cars SPD.

Rob

headejm

Quote from: B5Cuda440-6 on April 28, 2017, 10:59:58 AM
headejm, is your spare an 11, 14 date? If so, it's interesting that you have a Nov 14th, 1969 rim for a May build date. If your spare is original, it just goes to prove that some cars could have been delivered with space-saver spares made 6 months in advance of the cars SPD.

Rob

Yes, November 14, 1969 date code for the space saver spare. 1970 Challenger SPD May 1970.

my70chally

My spare does not seem to follow some of the other codes mentioned in the is thread.

What is the correct size and make for the tire for 1970 Challenger? 

I believe it to be 7.75-14 but only things I can find is C70-14, D78-14 and F78-14.  The closest to 7.75 is the F78.

6bblgt

M38 10 -o- 4 = 10/4/1978

M = Motor Wheel Corp.
3 = plant #3 (anyone know its location?)
8 = year = 1978

10 = October
-o- = valve stem
4 = 4th of month

that's typically a space saver spare wheel from a F-body (Volare/Aspen) usually with a Goodyear F78-14 space saver tire

very early 1970 model year (Aug./Sept. '69) had 7.75-14 BFG space saver tires later F78-14 BFG tires were used

my70chally

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 10, 2017, 10:05:20 AM
M38 10 -o- 4 = 10/4/1978

M = Motor Wheel Corp.
3 = plant #3 (anyone know its location?)
8 = year = 1978

10 = October
-o- = valve stem
4 = 4th of month

that's typically a space saver spare wheel from a F-body (Volare/Aspen) usually with a Goodyear F78-14 space saver tire

very early 1970 model year (Aug./Sept. '69) had 7.75-14 BFG space saver tires later F78-14 BFG tires were used

Thank you so much 6bblgt.  So it appears, I don't have the correct wheel for my 70 Challenger and need to replace that to be OE correct.  This was very helpful. 

My car was built Jan 1970 so would assume the F78-14 BFG would be the correct tire.  I will need to find the date correct wheel as well.  Thanks again.