Main Menu

Strange wobble intermittent

Started by schtick, August 06, 2017, 09:24:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schtick

Hi everyone. Mabey someone could shed some light on this. Once in a while there is a violent wobble of the car. I can feel it in the shifter and see the shaker moving as well when the wobble occurs. The whole car shakes for a few seconds then it's gone. I drive this car a lot, and the problem is recent. Feels like when you get snow and ice in a rim and the car shakes from not being balanced. " Met a few of you at Carlisle this year" Here are some specifics. All rebuilt 440, 18 spline 4 speed, 3:54 Dana, Polyglas tires, hochkis quick ratio  idler and pitman, Bilstein shocks. I have checked the motor mounts, and the drive shaft. Seems to happen whenever I hit some bumpy parts in the road. Almost like the entire drive line is shaking.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

My Guess is bad tires combined with bad shocks

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Tires and shocks would be the first place I would check.  As tires wear they can become unbalanced or go bad.  We have been going through the same thing with a newer car we own.  At about 5,000 miles the factory BF Goodrich tires started vibrating around 40 mph.  A re-balance fixed it for about 3,000 to 4,000 miles then it comes back.  I have grown to hate BF Goodrich tires now.  They keep going out of balance as they wear down.  We're at 24,000 miles now and I can not wait to get new tires. 

MEK-Dangerous

Is there a certain RPM range or speed where this occurs?

Chryco Psycho

BFGarbage are the worst junk out there .
Just stay away

Brads70

What about the lower/upper control arm bushings?

schtick

Hmmmmm. The thing that is very odd, is that it happened once the week before I drove from CT to Carlisle. Didn't happen again until this week. Would control arm bushings or tires do that intermittently? And litterly the engine and trans wobble in unison. Mabey a bad belt in a tire? But wouldn't that always be there? Speed or RPM have no influence. Car runs perfectly otherwise.

Chryco Psycho

When Pixies tires went away it had a sweet spot where the shake would go away , maybe when both tires were opposite & it was not constant but when it was bad it was shaking the whole drivetrain too

schtick

Ok. Good info. I have a set of radials. I will put them on and see if the problem returns.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

schtick

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 08, 2017, 06:36:46 PM
That's easy to try all right.
One thing I noticed today when it happened, I hit the brakes and it stopped the shaking. Thoughts?

dodj

My first thought would be strut rods and/or tie rods. Did you try the different tires yet?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: schtick on August 08, 2017, 06:38:01 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 08, 2017, 06:36:46 PM
That's easy to try all right.
One thing I noticed today when it happened, I hit the brakes and it stopped the shaking. Thoughts?

Combination of things.... First tire/wheel balance & second worn steering linkage...

MEK-Dangerous

Well, at least we eliminated an unbalanced drive shaft.     :)

schtick

Hmmmmm, steering linkage. The problem started only after I installed the quick ratio pitman and idler. Car has factory power steering and everything is new or rebuilt. And I had it professionally aligned. I love the change.