Main Menu

Tire question..

Started by Lambethdave, February 09, 2022, 09:34:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lambethdave

I have a set of 15x7 rallye wheels..thinking of pro trac tires on the back..l don't want the pie cutters on the front.  I want a proper front tire, any suggestions..??  Thanks guys

blown motor

I believe I have 225s on mine with 255s on the back.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dodj

You can put a 235 60 series on a 7" rallye.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Yes: 235X60X15 works on a factory 15X7 rally wheel without messing with the wheel openings or jacking the ride height up. 245X60X15 requires work on a Challenger or Cuda to not rub.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

Agree. 235/60 on 15 x 7" or 215/70 for a little thinner tire, better tire wear.
The negative on wide front tires is excessive tire scrub on the edges when turning. 255/60 on rear with no rubbing problems.
Or you could run the same size on all 4.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Lambethdave

I was under the impression 275 / 60 / 15 would be fine on the back with 4.5 backspacing and 235 on the front..? Am l.thinking wrong..?? I was thinking pro Trac but holy they are expensive in Canadian bucks about 1700 clams..

MoparLeo

The recommended rim width for a 275/60-15 is 8"

blown motor

I used an 8" rim for my 255s. I felt a 7" rim would bulge the sidewalls too much, didn't want that look.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparLeo

MOPAR MITCH

With the 15x7 factory rims, I've run 245-60 front and rear without any clearance problems at all.

Later, I've run 275-60 in the rear.. tires pinched/squeezed a little, but still ok... and fits fine within the wheelwells -- A-OK.

Yet later, I've run 15x8 rims with 245-60 up front, 275-60 rear... no problems (plus, the 275-60 rear reduces the highway rpms a little).

I've eventually changed the fronts to 255-60 on the 8" rims... no problems... still have them!

I like the taller sidewalls for increased cushioning/comfort... for cruising.... along with a little more ground clearance (my suspension is lowered and stiff for autocrossing... I have different rims for track/autocross ... 18x11 with 295-30 tires front/rear).

70pumpkin

Interesting that the little bit of decrease in tire bulge with the 15x8s result in no clearance issues.  Did you happen to measure the difference between the 15x8 versus the 15x7 on the 275-60s?

MoparLeo

Just another bit of info. Tire sizing specs are not consistent between brands.
Put 3 different brand 275/60-15 tires or any size for that matter side by side and you will see that they are all different.
There is about an average of an 8% variance between brands on actual measurements.
One brand might fit better than another.
The only thing that the D.O.T. stipulates on tires is the actual amount of weight that a given size supports, not the dimensions.