Main Menu

UPDATE....FRAUD Alert for BS23JOB296260 Vitamin C AAR

Started by 76orangewagon, April 07, 2020, 03:29:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

To be fair to OP, back in 1990 these cars were a dime a dozen - I owned several cars that are now extremely desirable in todays market - and cut them up and modified the crap out of them in the interest of going fast, or faster (wish I had my 440 6 pack charger still that I sold for $3700).  Honestly, I do not see the difference between replacing 99% of the metal on the original AAR because it is not salvageable vs. putting the core support and cowl from the AAR onto another car - either way none of the metal is original.

Now, if current owner is passing it off as something other than a restored car that is a different story. 

I just remember being a young dumb kid barely 20 swapping and changing parts all over the place because no one cared then and I needed every penny to fund my speed and fuel addiction.....

it is unfortunate, but who knew then what they know now? :alan2cents:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

worthywads

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on January 09, 2023, 03:25:53 PM
To be fair to OP, back in 1990 these cars were a dime a dozen - I owned several cars that are now extremely desirable in todays market - and cut them up and modified the crap out of them in the interest of going fast, or faster (wish I had my 440 6 pack charger still that I sold for $3700).  Honestly, I do not see the difference between replacing 99% of the metal on the original AAR because it is not salvageable vs. putting the core support and cowl from the AAR onto another car - either way none of the metal is original.

Now, if current owner is passing it off as something other than a restored car that is a different story. 

I just remember being a young dumb kid barely 20 swapping and changing parts all over the place because no one cared then and I needed every penny to fund my speed and fuel addiction.....

A little more than a dime a dozen if OP did sell just the engine minus intake, transmission, a few chunks of metal with stampings and a dash for $2500. If there isn't an AAR with vin BS23JOB296260 out there it only because someone hasn't gotten around to using these parts that he paid very good money for. Seems clear the intent of the purchase was for a rebody.

My sad VIN story is in 1990 I bought a '66 Charger in Sioux City IA that hadn't been titled in many year that needed an inspection to get titled.  Inspector starts inspection, checks VIN, then I watch him pry the VIN off (must have been glued on), put it in a zip lock bag and inform me that he is confiscating that Tag because it didn't have the rivets on it so it was tampered with and no longer legal.  I learned the hard way Iowa or at least this inspector wasn't tolerating anything wrong.  He then proceeded to verify a body stamping on the trunk and confirmed to his satisfaction that this was the correct vehicle, but absolutely would not give me back the tag.  He created a metal sticker that he assigned the same VIN number to and stuck it to the door.  Iirc head said it is illegal to possess a VIN at least in IA not properly attached to the vehicle with the correct rivets.

I have no idea why the rivets had been removed, it had original paint.

I began working on it, with a lot less enthusiasm than before, but then 2 years later got my '70 Challenger convertible and put the Charger on the back burner and eventually sold it in '97 for a bit of a lose as it was mostly taken apart, and it became someone else's project or just parted out, no idea if it got back on the road since then.

FSHTAIL

Things change, these command money now and this would be considered fraud..

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

torredcuda

Was the OP that naive to think selling the vin tag and body stampings was not for a re-body? I`d be happy to own this AAR with a re-body, drive and enjoy it. There are only really two kinds of old cars - all original survivors or restored ones.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Katfish

OP did nothing illegal.
He sold some old car parts.
As someone posted, and everyone ignores, the law states "with intent to commit fraud"
What the buyer does with those parts is not under his control.

torredcuda

Quote from: Katfish on January 10, 2023, 06:44:22 AM
OP did nothing illegal.
He sold some old car parts.
As someone posted, and everyone ignores, the law states "with intent to commit fraud"
What the buyer does with those parts is not under his control.

I think some state laws prohibit selling a vin tag removed from the vehicle.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

This question has to be the largest "grey area" in the entire automotive hobby, and the topic has been beaten to death a million times :deadhorse:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on January 10, 2023, 11:01:17 AM
This question has to be the largest "grey area" in the entire automotive hobby, and the topic has been beaten to death a million times :deadhorse:

Might as well beat the horse some more - seems like a very hot topic!!!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Transamcuda.com

www.transamcuda.com Home of the AAR Cuda Registry

1770 AAR Cudas on the registry as of 2/9/2019

ebodyproducts

It's going to get very interesting when you can buy a complete Cuda body shell from AMD.  AMD is working on this.  It will be licensed by Mopar Performance as a certified restoration part.
Swap VIN's and go time.  I'm not saying is right or wrong, but Chevy and Ford guys are already doing this with first gen camaros and vintage mustangs.  That AAR tag and title would fit nicely on a restoration piece like that.
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

Mr Cuda

Knowing that you  guys feel that an original car missing a fender tag is worth less than one with,  what's worth  more?
A rebody with tags, or a complete original rust free car with no fender tag? (but vin tag).
And what if no one knew it was rebodied?
How can you  not consider half of the cars rebuilt every available body part not a rebody?
Asking for a friend

anlauto

Tell your "friend" if he's worried about it, to give up on muscle cars altogether and buy a Honda :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

larry4406

Quote from: ebodyproducts on January 12, 2023, 11:33:38 AM
It's going to get very interesting when you can buy a complete Cuda body shell from AMD.  AMD is working on this.  It will be licensed by Mopar Performance as a certified restoration part.
Swap VIN's and go time.  I'm not saying is right or wrong, but Chevy and Ford guys are already doing this with first gen camaros and vintage mustangs.  That AAR tag and title would fit nicely on a restoration piece like that.

Any ETA for the AMD Cuda body shells?  First I have heard of this!  Link?

anlauto

That will never happen, just look at the success the the Dynacorn 70 Challenger bodies  :alan2cents:

worthywads

Quote from: ebodyproducts on January 12, 2023, 11:33:38 AM

So since it's only a state thing, are states falling for this AMD car with welded in VIN stampings to help legitimizing these cars?

I don't know Ford/GM body stampings like what mother Mopar provided, I'm assuming something similar.

As I mention with my VIN confiscation, in Iowa you can't even possess an improperly installed VIN let alone sell one.  I did send my dash off to Just Dashes way back 30 years ago after removing the VIN, and I put that VIN in my safe deposit box, while still shaking my head about losing the original 66 Charger VIN.  I paid $35 for a pair of correct rivets which most likely was breaking another law too.  I can't believe any state allows the sale of a VIN separate of a car.

I don't see it as saving a rare car with this kind of exchange and weld job, just fraud to create more value, it's a clone or tribute that removed a real car from the market to bring back a fake.