Main Menu

73 Cuda Fender tag

Started by 73Cudamann, January 12, 2017, 04:54:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73Cudamann

I have a question about my fender tag. Had this car since 2007 and it has always been in Washington state. On the third line down I have an I on the fender tag an I'm curious what this stands for? when I run the fender tag decoder it shows unknown at this time. Ive put in every combination I can think of L, I, and 1's.  Your thoughts are appreciated

anlauto

Built to Specifications for International order :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

OOOOOO SPOOOOOKY.....Built on A31  Scrary  >:D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

73Cudamann

Yes a Halloween car!!! For a soldier coming home???

Cuda Cody

:iagree:. That's awesome!  Didn't know your car was built on Halloween. :cool:

anlauto

Yea, looks like it would be a nice car and a four speed to boot ! :takealook:

70chall440

Quote from: 73Cudamann on January 12, 2017, 05:24:49 PM

In reference to cars ordered by Military personnel, I thought I would share this; Overseas at every major base there is what is called AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange Service) in which they typically have vehicle representatives (some reps promote multiple brands). Service members can to there and order a vehicle, normally on their way out going home but not always. In some areas/countries, service members can take delivery of an ordered vehicle in country, but this isn't the norm. I have been told that these vehicles get coded as a foreign orders when submitted even though the service member takes delivery in the US.

I never ordered a vehicle but had a lot of friends do so, especially Harleys. There was many times problems with dealers because they didn't sell the vehicle and really didn't make any money off of them. In the case of Harley's during the first Gulf war, significant numbers of soldiers from Ft Bragg ordered new Harleys to the extent that the local HD dealer begin to refuse to accept them, subsequently Ft Bragg put them off limits and all of the business was pushed to another dealer.
Mopar or no car!!!

ChallengerHK

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 21, 2017, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: 73Cudamann on January 12, 2017, 05:24:49 PM
I never ordered a vehicle but had a lot of friends do so, especially Harleys. There was many times problems with dealers because they didn't sell the vehicle and really didn't make any money off of them. In the case of Harley's during the first Gulf war, significant numbers of soldiers from Ft Bragg ordered new Harleys to the extent that the local HD dealer begin to refuse to accept them, subsequently Ft Bragg put them off limits and all of the business was pushed to another dealer.

I worked with 18Es and 18Cs at Bragg, and every one of them had a Harley.

70chall440

Kind of a right of passage, got my first when I was in Okinawa and have never been without. When I got in, you needed a Harley, Randall Knife, Rolex and Star Sapphire ring. I got 3 of the 4, never did get a Randall  :)
Mopar or no car!!!

6bblgt

as stated above the "I" is for international order & the most probable scenario for this car is a returning US serviceman, all international orders went thru Switzerland.

the Vehicle Order Number (VON) "E3xxxx" indicates it was shipped thru a stateside dealership when new

The "Scheduled Production Date" is exactly that "SCHEDULED" - is there an original door sticker still on the 'Cuda?  Broadcast sheet?

Most EXPORT ordered vehicles seem to be produced prior to their SPDs.

6bblgt

I believe Fort Lewis Washington was the departure/return point for many heading to/returning from the far east.  :dunno:

70chall440

When whole units rotated out of VN is 71/72 many did come through Lewis and many individual soldiers (especially infantry types) did launch out of Lewis in the late 60's and early 70's. Many returning soldiers who were getting out (had not reenlisted) went through SF and then home or if they had reenlisted would go home on leave then to whatever base they were assigned to.
Mopar or no car!!!