Main Menu

Welding question

Started by Mr Lee, May 24, 2020, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

Quote from: YellowThumper on May 27, 2020, 10:54:41 PM
To eliminate small pitting holes you should grind them larger so they are thoroughly cleaned out. Larger but clean well will fill with less heat than trying to power thru the embedded impurities that caused pitting in the first place. Tig would be my choice.
Does your tig have the lift arc option? This would be where you actually place tungsten on the steel. Press power lever and lift tip off. This option will allow for minuscule power levels from the start as the arc spark doesn't have to "search" a path when starting. Also what diameter is your tig rod? If it is too large in diameter. Because these would just be spot filling. You can just grind the rod diameter down smaller for a short length.
Make sure grounding is close and proper as well.
Tungsten should have a smooth taper from diameter to the point. Typically taper to point is minimum 3x length of diameter. Point should not be dead sharp. After grinding. Blunt it ever so slightly. When grinding the taper I also will grind it along the direction of its length. As in the grinding grains flow same direction as the argon flow.

Good luck.
Mike.

Thanks for the tips   .  Yeah they Muggy weld was not sticking in all of the little pits, probably because of what you said, that they're dirty and need to be grinded out.   
Yes the machine does have lift arc and I have 1/16 filler rod.   But I've read you can also use MIG wire as filler rod, is this true? 
What amperage would you start with?  I have 3/32 tungsten
I've been grinding the tungsten on the bench grinder.  Pointing it upwards and spinning it slowly in a cordless drill.  I will make sure I blunt the tip a bit and that the grinding marks are smooth and flow towards the tip.

MoparLeo,
I'm doing this in hopes of saving some money on labor at the chrome shop and also to make sure they don't skip it.     
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

YellowThumper

Yes you can use the mig wire for rod.
Pay attention to the flame/spark when it is going.
As far as amps, when in doubt set it low. Test and increase as necessary till you get a puddle. Another item is your argon flow. Too high of flow it will blow the spark around.
To reiterate test and watch your spark pattern. It should remain steady. Some circling of your tip is good. But should not be bouncing around and searching.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

MoparLeo

Ask the shop to explain and show their procedure before you choose them. It would not make sense to leave holes in the metal since they have to copper and then nickle plate the parts before final buff and chrome dip.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...