Main Menu

Welding help

Started by Rdchallenger, June 16, 2019, 02:04:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

So new to welding, kind of teaching myself as I go, been doing the inner panels with Flux core. Now that I'm doing the door jambs I want them to look at little better so I'm using gas. Unfortunately though since I have switched wire this keeps happening when using practice metal. What am I doing wrong that is causing this.  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

What size was your old wire and what is the size of your new wire?

Rdchallenger

Old was .30 and the new is .23 I changed the tip and wheel that feeds it to correspond with it.

Rich G.

Make sure the tip size matches up to the wire size. Tip also gets welded shut if you're to close in the weld puddle.

Rdchallenger

Stupid me... compare this picture with the first one and I didn't have the cord all the way against the feeder :Thud:... problem solved with backing it off a little from the puddle and it is going like a champ now!!! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Brads70

I changed the liner as well when I switched wire sizes with gas kit.  :alan2cents:

Mopar5

Sounds like your on the right track along with cleaner welds I also like gas because there are less sparks flying around and from a safety standpoint working in a home garage to me that's important also less chance of other materials and projects getting damaged from hot sparks

70 Challenger Lover

I like the thinner wire when welding on sheet metal and I really prefer gas. I find it easier to control the heat with the .024 wire and I rarely burn through the metal now. I've only been hobby welding for two years but it's amazing how fast you improve with time.

From what I've read, flux core is better suited for windy conditions like mending fences out on the ranch.

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Gas welding with even a slight wind is a PITA.
Sheldon

Rdchallenger

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 16, 2019, 06:31:12 PM
I like the thinner wire when welding on sheet metal and I really prefer gas. I find it easier to control the heat with the .024 wire and I rarely burn through the metal now. I've only been hobby welding for two years but it's amazing how fast you improve with time.

From what I've read, flux core is better suited for windy conditions like mending fences out on the ranch.

It's also good for burning the hell out of your ankles with stray sparks 😂

Cudakiller70

You probably already know this, but just in case. When switching from Flux core wire to solid it's also different polarity, should be easy swap on welder.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on June 16, 2019, 10:07:23 PM
You probably already know this, but just in case. When switching from Flux core wire to solid it's also different polarity, should be easy swap on welder.

Yes! Thankfully it was just the swap of two wires.