Main Menu

Road races - anyone run one in their E-body?

Started by shawge, February 21, 2018, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

shawge

Has anyone run their Cuda/Challenger in a road race like the Silver State Classic?  I've been thinking about running my Challenger in it and was curious as to what kind of prep you did for the race. 

Tires/rims
Brakes
Suspension
Engine/transmission
Drive shaft loop
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Chryco Psycho

I was building my 71 Charger in that direction
IMO everything is critical , I had a .71 OD with 2.73 rear gearing yielding a 1.94 final drive with a theoretical top speed of 260 & 6500 RPM . , oil coolers , extra oil capacity for engine & trans , better brakes , better suspension & sway bars with stiffer & lower stance stance  , Far better tires & rims , aero ... spoilers etc

Mpdlawdog

Im setting my car up for track days and autocross....mopar mitch helped me out a ton.  he races his 72/70....Im sure he will chime in.....I I didnt want an all out race car because I still want to drive it on the street (ie no roll cage as of right now..dont need it for the class im going to be in)....hotchkis all the way on my car..viper brake upgrade in the front with wilwoods in the rear....I havent driven the car so I cant tell you how it handles or is set up...eventually I will get into class mitch is in so we can have some track fun...just have to get my racing license first (you will have to get one to do any type of actual road racing)....Im going to use my mustang to get through the class..its too expensive to fix the challenger!

nsmall

GoodysGotaCuda

I would love to run, but the whole insurance thing slows me down.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

autoxcuda

Are you just looking at those silver state classics closed public road type events?

Or/and taking on a closed circuit course like PIR up near you?

I thought Silver State had MPH classes. And the objective is to come as close to a curtain average speed over the total distance. You try to come as close as possible to a certain time.

Taking you car out to an open rented track day doesn't take much. It's about how much performance do you want.

Tires, springs, shocks, brakes, and sway bar are the major factors. As those items reach near maximum for stock-ish body, you need to start reinforcing the body...cage. For autocross it seems ok, but fast high speed turns things start flexing. And then there's the safety at those capable cornering speeds.

Here's my 68 Barracuda at Willow Springs and Buttonwillow
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

MOPAR MITCH

April 12, 2018
http://alltimeracing.com/spring-fling-speed-festival-xii-thursday-april-12th-2018/

Shawge -- Consider what autoxcuda says.... favor the above event .. he'll be there!

Its my understanding that the Silverstate event is like a Bonneville event... on a highway.

HP2

I'll echo what autox asked, are you talking closed road target speed racing our open track day driving? There will be different prep between the two.

Start here to see what you HAVE to do that is similar or different between the two:
https://www.sscc.us/rulebook.aspx

Or here:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/

You are automatically at a disadvantage for things like Silver State sustained speed racing because you have a  '70 Challenger. The deep set grill in the nose generates tons of front end lift at speeds over 100.