Main Menu

Blue motor questions

Started by bentpshrods, February 10, 2018, 01:00:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bentpshrods

I just removed the grill out of my 71 to paint it body color.  With the front end opened up I plan on putting in a new cam to change things up a bit.  I was going to do this with the motor in the car, but with pulling a head to check the valve clearance and to degree the cam I figured  it would be easier to just pull the motor and do it on a stand. This way I could also pull the pan and check the bearings and reseal everything.  My car had a SPD of 421 so the engine had the mid year change and was blue originally. When I finally got my car back on the road I painted it orange. (Was Chrysler red at one point).  With changing things up I am thinking about painting it back to blue. Problem is I first repainted it over 35 years ago and don't remember what the original color looks like.  Does anyone have pics of the proper blue(I think it is called corporate blue?). Where is a good  source of getting paint. If I go to the local auto paint store is there a code for this color or just get mopar engine blue?.  I also plan on finally putting on my 6 barrel set up that I have that's been sitting on the shelf for 35 years. A blue motor with an orange 6 pack lid would not look right so I would also paint the lid. Any pics of blue six pack (barrel) lids. Or pics of FC7  engine bays with a blue engine.  Just not real sure on how the blue with the purple combination will look like.  Will be something different foe sure.

Chryco Psycho

If it was me I would leave the engine orange if you are going to the 6 pack anyway  :alan2cents:
mid 60s the engines were painted red or turquoise

RUNCHARGER

I'm thinking the six pack wouldn't look as good on a blue engine either. Blue and purple may clash whereas purple and orange contrast each other.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Here is a good list from http://www.mymopar.com/enginecolors.htm

440 V8                   1966-69   All                           Turquoise    P4120752
440 V8 HP/Police    1969-71    High Performance    H-Orange    P4349216
440 V8                   1970-74   All                           Blue            P4349217

6bblgt

"corporate blue" or "Chrysler blue" engine enamel for late '71 340s

are you  :thinking: a "what if" or more of a "hot rod" or custom?

orange air cleaners on "Chrysler blue" performance engines was the norm for '72

76orangewagon

I have a 430 SPD Cuda that should have the Corporate Blue engine also, From what I have found the most accurate Blue engine paint is available from Frank Badalson and doesn't have all the shine. The Blue might clash with that orange master cylinder though.

bentpshrods

Thanks for the pics 6bblgt, that's what I was looking for. Right now I am more at the what if I took the motor back to its original blue color. Not real sure I like the  blue on purple combo. Then throw on a big orange lid definitely looks a bit off to me. Would have to have a blue lid. Will have to do a bit more pondering on this for sure.      :dunno:

RzeroB

I'm not sure exactly, but I thought I saw an article here by either @Cuda Cody or @Shane Kelley in which they described how they concocted a custom blended paint that was spot on in color and sheen to the factory shade. I may be wrong, but both those guys are paint wizards so I'm pretty sure it was authored by one of them.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

76orangewagon

Quote from: RzeroB on February 11, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
I'm not sure exactly, but I thought I saw an article here by either @Cuda Cody or @Shane Kelley in which they described how they concocted a custom blended paint that was spot on in color and sheen to the factory shade. I may be wrong, but both those guys are paint wizards so I'm pretty sure it was authored by one of them.

I thought that was for Hemi Orange not Corporate Blue, but  I may be wrong also. :D