Main Menu

Winter Projects - 2021 / 2022

Started by Cudajason, November 29, 2021, 01:37:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey folks,

Its that time of year again, winter has set in around here and the Cuda is up for the winter.

That means time to tinker for me, well as long as its not too cold.

My main project this winter is to redo the brake system.

My plan is to install a hydro boost system, replace all the brake lines (hard and rubber)  as well as the proportioning valve (going with an adjustable one) and just for kicks, install a line lock.

I may also replace the rear wheel cylinders.  Although they are only a few years old, well maybe 10 at this point.

The calipers are also 10 years old, so I may pull them apart and inspect them first.

The hard lines are all original to the car, so long over due for new ones.

I plan to do a dedicated post to the Hydro Boost install, but it will be slow going like everything for me.

I might do a few other small upgrades, re jet the carb, etc.

I still need to deal with all the crap in my coolant.  I had a shop flush the rad and engine in the fall.  They were amazed at how much crap came out, but they did not get it all and they ran a bunch of water through the system. Probably wait until spring to deal with that.

Well off to order some parts to get things rolling. 

What projects do you guys have planned over the winter????   :pokeeye:

:wrenching: :takemymoney:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Why not four wheel disc brakes now ? :stayinlane:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Grimmey71

Been thinking of hydroboost myself. I thought there was a post where someone pieced it together from old astrovan parts

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on November 29, 2021, 01:42:21 PM
Why not four wheel disc brakes now ? :stayinlane:

too much  :bigmoney: :bigmoney: / not enough value / benefit.

Quote from: Grimmey71 on November 29, 2021, 01:46:43 PM
Been thinking of hydroboost myself. I thought there was a post where someone pieced it together from old astrovan parts

I am using a unit off a full sized GM Van...could not find an Astrovan in my local u-pull.

I have seen the cost of the kits, and I figure I can do that for less then half the price.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

If you want to add 11" rear drums, I have a complete set-up off of a 70 Charger I'm advertising soon ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

Assuming you're upgrading the master cylinder to a more common GM/Wilwood/Mopar composite unit this may give you an idea on how to bundle everything cleanly.  The Wilwood piece is cheap and nice since you can use ports on either side of the master cylinder.

I used a Summit brand line lock, Wilwood MC, and Wilwood proportioning valve mounted to a modified factory prop valve bracket from a 3rd gen F-Body.

I have plenty of clearance from the steering shaft, inner fender, and engine.

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on November 29, 2021, 01:37:01 PM
What projects do you guys have planned over the winter????   :pokeeye:

:wrenching: :takemymoney:
Think I'm gonna call Roseville and order up a DMT heater box rebuild kit along with some future use sheetmetal.
Then maybe order up some 7075 Aluminium blocks for my QA1 K-member sway bar mount.
I was contemplating calling SilverSport Transmissions and getting a new trans...but I just can't justify the cost  :bigmoney:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

My list includes:

Adding seat extenders to get some more leg room for driver's seat

Getting the stock a/c system (converted to 134a) working which mostly involves getting the compressor lines sorted out. 

Getting the Map light and time delay relay for my A01 option working

Fixing the damaged paint under the master cylinder from DOT3 drips and splashes.

Check wheel stud length and replace if necessary

Cudajason

Little early xmas gift for me showed up today. Ordered it a while ago!

Hope the weather stays warm so I can get started after xmas.

Cudajason

Quote from: Dmod1974 on November 29, 2021, 04:35:23 PM
Assuming you're upgrading the master cylinder to a more common GM/Wilwood/Mopar composite unit this may give you an idea on how to bundle everything cleanly.  The Wilwood piece is cheap and nice since you can use ports on either side of the master cylinder.

I used a Summit brand line lock, Wilwood MC, and Wilwood proportioning valve mounted to a modified factory prop valve bracket from a 3rd gen F-Body.

@Dmod1974 that looks good!  I was not planning on a new Master, as I am using a new style mopar master. However, that master does not fit on the hydro boost unit.  :headbang:  Cue the scope creep!

Would you happen to know the part number for that Master?  Oh and any idea what hydro boost unit you are using! 

I believe all the hydro boost units are the same bolt pattern, but not sure.

Thanks

Dmod1974

Quote from: Cudajason on December 30, 2021, 05:51:54 AM
Quote from: Dmod1974 on November 29, 2021, 04:35:23 PM

@Dmod1974 that looks good!  I was not planning on a new Master, as I am using a new style mopar master. However, that master does not fit on the hydro boost unit.  :headbang:  Cue the scope creep!

Would you happen to know the part number for that Master?  Oh and any idea what hydro boost unit you are using! 

I believe all the hydro boost units are the same bolt pattern, but not sure.

Thanks

I know it's a GM based unit, and used GM style 2 bolt master cylinders. I got mine from Hydratech. I would not use my exact MC part number given your brake choice. I'm running 14" disc brakes all the way around and bore size you should select is dependent in what you're using at each corner.

Cudajason

@Dmod1974 thanks for the response man. Very helpful.

Dmod1974

Quote from: Cudajason on December 30, 2021, 07:10:08 AM
@Dmod1974 thanks for the response man. Very helpful.

No problem. Wish I could be more help, but bore size is one thing you need to get right or it'll ruin your brake pedal feel. Go to Wilwoods and Hydratechs websites and they should have recommendations for which bore size you should run with disc/drum brakes.