Main Menu

Original-owner, Original-paint 1971 Hemicuda!

Started by benlavigne, September 16, 2017, 06:41:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

First of all, in this era of instant internet information, it is possible to get the VIN info on this car, it is known by the people who would have the means to acquire it when it comes to the market, but that is not soon, as the owner won't let it go for any price, and still enjoys blasting through the 4 speeds quite a few times a year! He is just not into shows, and has asked me to remove the VIN from the pics. If you do know the info, PLEASE DO NOT POST IT' or I'll remove the post.
So it is 1970, and this Montreal young guy has a great job, lives with his parents, and has brothers and friends with hot Mopars, but he wants the hottest setup possible to top them all... At first, the local dealer, Longue-Pointe does not want to sell him a multi-carb car, like many others, as they are aware of the kind of abuse they usually get, and the warranty claims that go with that. But the young man insists, and finally gets the dealer to order him the car of his dream. He even considered getting a convertible, but in those days, theft was a big problem, and he was worried that the soft top would get cut easier to get access to the car!
He wants good performance, so he chooses the manual trans and Track Pak, but also wants some flash, so he chooses FC7 as the color, with the louver package, which includes the black vinyl top, hood pins, rear spoiler and dual painted mirrors. Contrary to now, the billboards were considered a bit too much in 1971, so they do not get checked on the list...
Inside, the Rallye dash, console and bucket seats are selected, along with power windows and the AM FM radio with rear speaker fader. As he decided from the start that the car will not be driven in the Winter, he passes on the rear defog or block heater!
So the car has lead a pampered life from the start, with an occasional trip to the track, but far from a garage queen, it sees a lot of action on the streets of the eastern part of Montreal until the early 80's when it is retired from regular duty. Since then, it has been driven regularely, and now shows a bit less than 20 000 miles, still wearing 95% of it's original paint, and with all of the original drivetrain. Whatever maintenance items have been changed over the years have been kept, along with the original Polyglas tires, replaced with repros. There have been questions about the 426 HEMI nameplates on the Shaker, but he maintains they were there when the car was delivered. But then again, that was 46 years ago....
The car will eventually come to the market, but as he says, his kids will do it when he is gone! This one would definitely be the star of any big auction, how many hi-Impact, original owner, original-drivetrain 1971 Hemicudas can be out there?

Ben

FlatlandTA

Wow that's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

The VIN number would have been published years ago when the Canadian Hemi VIN list was published. I believe there's at least one 1971 Hemicuda listed as sold new in P.Q. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2017, 06:47:18 AM
Only in Canada eh ? Pitty  :haha:

I know there were 4 71 Hemicudas in Quebec to get this... How many in Canada total?

Ben

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2017, 06:52:13 AM
The VIN number would have been published years ago when the Canadian Hemi VIN list was published. I believe there's at least one 1971 Hemicuda listed as sold new in P.Q. :alan2cents:
I know, as I wrote, the VIN can be found easily, but I want to respect the owner's wish and hide it in this post....
Maybe that will get me a chance to ride in it one day... ;-)

Ben

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on September 16, 2017, 06:57:24 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2017, 06:52:13 AM
I know, as I wrote, the VIN can be found easily, but I want to respect the owner's wish and hide it in this post....
Maybe that will get me a chance toBUY it one day... ;-)

Ben
Fixed it for you ! ;)

RUNCHARGER

That's just a great car! Exactly the right options. Thanks for the great story and photos. I hope his family respects his wishes.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

:inlove:  :wowzers:  :inlove:  :wowzers:  That is beyond cool.  An original owner 1971 Hemi Cuda!   :banana:  Thank you for sharing the photos.  Do you have any more photos of the under side or the interior?   :popcorn:

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

FlatlandTA

Quote from: benlavigne on September 16, 2017, 06:53:37 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2017, 06:47:18 AM
Only in Canada eh ? Pitty  :haha:

I know there were 4 71 Hemicudas in Quebec to get this... How many in Canada total?

Ben
Looks like 11 71 Hemi Cudas total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 16, 2017, 07:34:53 AM
That's just a great car! Exactly the right options. Thanks for the great story and photos. I hope his family respects his wishes.

Oh...they'll respect his wishes all right..........funeral at noon......auction at 2pm :bigmoney:

1 Wild R/T

Damn, that's a cool Cuda...               

And I'm not a 71 Cuda fan....

RUNCHARGER

I'm not a 71 Foamer either but they are tolerable without the billboards.
Sheldon

CudaMoparRay