Main Menu

1970 Cuda parking lamps - Classic Ind. OER

Started by Solarguy, August 01, 2023, 02:08:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

So I just saw these and wondered when they came out and why I haven't heard anything about them on the various forums. 

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1970/plymouth/cuda/parts/748828.html

I have a new set from BEA that are the nicest reproduction part of any reproduction part I've seen.  These ones from OER are injection molded acrylic.  I wonder how these compare to the BEA ones or to OE.  Has anyone used or seen them in person? 

Jay Bee

Good question, I'd like to know more about those too. For some reason I don't see them on the OER website, or PG Classic either.
https://www.oerparts.com/shop/all-years/plymouth/cuda/parts/lighting/

anlauto

PG was working on them, I wouldn't doubt if they are available now  :dunno: Likely the manufacture of the OER ones :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

The only huge difference was that BE&A used to plate the housing the proper colour...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: Solarguy on August 01, 2023, 02:08:56 AM
So I just saw these and wondered when they came out and why I haven't heard anything about them on the various forums. 

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1970/plymouth/cuda/parts/748828.html

I have a new set from BEA that are the nicest reproduction part of any reproduction part I've seen.  These ones from OER are injection molded acrylic.  I wonder how these compare to the BEA ones or to OE.  Has anyone used or seen them in person?

Hey @Solarguy these are 20% off right now at CI code APL23

Mr Cuda

Well, in 7 to 10 days or less, as Classic industries is in California,  and I'm out west, we will have an answer to the quality and fit.
It's a good thing they were 20% off, because with sales tax,  shipping and their mandatory insurance,  it  got right back to $299.
  I'm happy they are out. I missed buying lens when they were available.  I have box full of chipped , cracked and dull markers.

Solarguy

Thanks for the heads up @anlauto.  I'm good for now.  I have a BEA set and like MR Cuda, have a box of old ones gathered when these where not even thought of in reproduction. 

The price of 299 is good considering the reproduction housings alone were  that much.  I'm just glad to see them available again.  They look nice.

edit: The housings alone are 398.00 at PG

anlauto

Mr Cuda

My classic industries marker/turn signal lights showed up today.  I did not have expectations that they would be  fully  correct,  and they're not.
The lens is my main concern,  as I was really only buying those.  At some point,  maybe they will sell lenses,  but not currently.
Pulling them out of the box, I  sensed they were too clear. Old factory plastic was never crystal clear,  and i have an nos to compare to.
The pot metal housing looks chrome.  Good for the reflector part, just wrong on the outside. Maybe paint a zinc finish or use the pigtail to fix a factory one. They did heat crimp the wire sheath.
Black tape has correct gloss,  but I  thought it went onto pot metal.
They fit, so that's good.  Prism looks correct.  If the sizing is correct,  I will be able to swap factory prizm and bulb housing  over to the lenses.
On detail they missed is the textured edge of the lens. Without the frosting,  you can see into grill body. This may look wrong when lit. Masking and glass  beading could fix that. There's a picture of an nos lens in grill to compare.
Lenses, 8 of 10, 
Body,  5 out of 10
If you don't have any, 10 out of 10

tman

Not totally correct, but I like them.  I purchased the early ones too many yrs ago, but if you can't find replacements, this is the way to go.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Mr Cuda on August 09, 2023, 11:09:00 AM
Black tape has correct gloss,  but I  thought it went onto pot metal.
My original tape and the tape on my BE&A lenses do not go onto the pot metal so at least that's correct.
Thanks for the very thorough review.

anlauto

Great to hear, thanks for the review...must be nice living down there....anything I order for CI takes at least two weeks to get  :crying:

FE5CUDA

Did they license them with the tiny part numbers on the side and Penta Star on the front of the lens?

Mr Cuda

They did not. At this point,  just having them is all that matters. 
I probably had enough without these, but I wish I had been paying attention 5 years ago.
Everyone should be filling in the gaps on their parts needs now. I sense a decline in availability coming.

anlauto

BE&A warned everybody that their quality reproduction parts wouldn't be available forever, once they're gone they're gone.

Thankfully companies are bringing stuff like this out again... :yes: