Main Menu

The Reproduction Part Test Garage

Started by kawahonda, September 27, 2018, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

I picked up the AMD two piece trunk floor and trunk extensions.  They look good but we will see when they are cut and mocked up for install.

Interestingly, I broke down and bought patch panels for the lower quarters from Goodmark.  When received, the manufacturer is Triplus who is contracted by AMD to stamp out certain body parts.  They were 1/3 the price of the AMD units and since I only need a few inches of the bottom of the panel I took a chance I laid them out against the quarter panel area and they laid out tight against the panel.

Two things about these panels; bottom did not have the tabs at the bottom with the circular holes and secondly, the back of the panel was bent a little more outward and was not flush with the original quarter panel only in the back.  If you need only a bottom patch and you do not mind the slight stamping difference on the bottom, it's a decent deal!
Now the fun begins!

:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Topcat

Quote from: Lemontwist on September 28, 2018, 03:41:43 PM

. Same issue with the rally hood bolts to springs.  WAY TOO BIG. You'd think they could at least get that right.

70' & 71' were different bolts/threads on Rallye hoods.

kawahonda

I promised I'd review the rear 1/4 moldings. Overall, a B+ part. Would easily recommend and/or use it again. The price is unbeatable.

First off, it's amazing how small these parts really are. NOS ones go for $100 a piece, which seems ludicrous. Such a small cosmetic thing isn't worth THAT much IMO. When you take them off the car, it's amazing how small they REALLY are.

So your option is to buy these. I believe they're about $55 shipped or so, for the pair, plus mounting hardware. More on that below.

First off, they are made in Taiwan. Taiwan is not a bad thing--they have been manufacturing things longer than China. Taiwan is not China when it comes to quality.

The finish has a brilliant shine. Already off to a good start just by looking at them.

For shits and giggles, I decided to use a micrometer to check out the metal thickness. 1.1mm vs .9mm. They certainly are thinner, but not much. BTW, the OER front hood trim seemed to be the same exact thickness as the original. Weighed the same. Felt the same. These feel a little lighter. But does it matter in the long run? Let's continue...

On the passenger side, I had to file down a sharp bur. Took 4 seconds. I did not like the mounting nuts that they came with...they are a bitch to get started on the threads, so I used the stock acorn nuts. EZ-peazy...more stock parts, fine with me.

Fitment? You be the judge. Let's just say...exact.

I'd consider these a good aftermarket part.

Now I'm starting to remember other aftermarket stuff I haven't mentioned. The AMD gas tank is perfect. Again, there's more out there that's pretty damn good vs just plain bad.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

anlauto

Just makes the rest of your trim on the back of the car look like crap. :haha: ....That's called the "snowball affect" :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1Burgfish

:wrenching: This is a great thread! Maybe a reproduction part thread should be done with everyone's experiences with aftermarket parts; The Good, The Bad, and The Perfect. We can call it the Test Garage..... :thinking:

kawahonda

Good idea. I renamed the thread.

I'll continue to update and add pictures/specs on parts. Let's all help each-other out on this one.

I may go in the attic and bring down that ebody reproduction lid for some visual documentation.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Cool :bigthumb: Love the thread; looking forward to reading some of the replies. Maybe there can be how many Pentastars each part is given from 1 to 5? :notsure:

blown motor

I bought the grill trim for my 74 Challenger a couple years ago from Roseville. I don't recall the brand. It didn't fit a snug as the original. It seemed to be just a touch long but otherwise it looked good.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

340challconvert

Quote from: 340challconvert on September 30, 2018, 07:42:29 PM
I picked up the AMD two piece trunk floor and trunk extensions.  They look good but we will see when they are cut and mocked up for install.

Interestingly, I broke down and bought patch panels for the lower quarters from Goodmark.  When received, the manufacturer is Triplus who is contracted by AMD to stamp out certain body parts.  They were 1/3 the price of the AMD units and since I only need a few inches of the bottom of the panel I took a chance I laid them out against the quarter panel area and they laid out tight against the panel.

Two things about these panels; bottom did not have the tabs at the bottom with the circular holes and secondly, the back of the panel was bent a little more outward and was not flush with the original quarter panel only in the back.  If you need only a bottom patch and you do not mind the slight stamping difference on the bottom, it's a decent deal!
Now the fun begins!

:wrenching:

Here are better pics showing the differences between the Goodmark and he AMD quarter panel patches: :wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

anlauto

Quote from: 340challconvert on December 21, 2018, 05:01:45 AM

Here are better pics showing the differences between the Goodmark and he AMD quarter panel patches: :wrenching:

One of those companies should be embarrassed about their quality... :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Maybe this topic would be better suited in the reference section.  :dunno:  :alan2cents:

kawahonda

These reproduction plug wires are absolutely spot-on. Lengths seem perfect. OHMs test out perfect, I want to say 12k, but will need to check my notes.

It comes with a nice little sheet that tells you which wire goes where, so you don't have to figure it all out yourself.

benlavigne

Quote from: kawahonda on June 05, 2020, 08:04:46 PM
These reproduction plug wires are absolutely spot-on. Lengths seem perfect. OHMs test out perfect, I want to say 12k, but will need to check my notes.

It comes with a nice little sheet that tells you which wire goes where, so you don't have to figure it all out yourself.

Nice, Thanks! Where did they come from?

Ben

Topcat

Hear they're "all show" wires and not go "wires"

On Moparts, a lot left them and put Firecore50 wires on.  I for one went with them.

No little yellow letters though.

kawahonda

Here's an example of where to find them: https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/challenger/parts/md4671.html

You can find them on several sites. They are "Authentic Mopar Licensed" products.

They are for POINTS only. There is absolutely zero performance hit with using these for points--judged by "seat of the pants" feel. I replaced 1K OHM black/boring wires with these 12-14k OHM wires and noticed zero difference in performance with Accel point/recurved distributor.

Most people are probably not running points though, so these wires won't apply. If you are running points they should perform the same as what you have on now, and look excellent!

@MoparLeo, how many 35 year olds even know what "points" mean? :) Give me some credit!   :wrenching:

I do plan to run Firecore50s for my 408 build....too bad they don't have the lettering, but the orange boot really makes the look.