Main Menu

The Reproduction Part Test Garage

Started by kawahonda, September 27, 2018, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Quote from: kawahonda on June 06, 2020, 08:24:59 PM
Here's an example of where to find them: https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/challenger/parts/md4671.html

You can find them on several sites. They are "Authentic Mopar Licensed" products.

They are for POINTS only. There is absolutely zero performance hit with using these for points--judged by "seat of the pants" feel. I replaced 1K OHM black/boring wires with these 12-14k OHM wires and noticed zero difference in performance with Accel point/recurved distributor.

Most people are probably not running points though, so these wires won't apply. If you are running points they should perform the same as what you have on now, and look excellent!

@MoparLeo, how many 35 year olds even know what "points" mean? :) Give me some credit!   :wrenching:

I do plan to run Firecore50s for my 408 build....too bad they don't have the lettering, but the orange boot really makes the look.

I agree. However Fireciore50's with Chrysler, yellow wording on them; knocks them out of realistic pricing points.

Not to mention the bureaucracy to deal with CDF 

MoparLeo

Ok, you know what points means, do you know what affect they have on the spark generated by the coil ? None. Points are just the on/off switch.   Dwell is the time that they or the switch is closed. The coil builds up current until the switch opens, triggering the spark. There are no upsides to running points other than nostalgia.  The electronic ignition just replaced the mechanical "points That corrode and wear out" with a magnetic switch with no wearing parts. Did you know that ? See, we can learn.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

kawahonda

Quote from: MoparLeo on June 06, 2020, 11:29:04 PM
Ok, you know what points means, do you know what affect they have on the spark generated by the coil ? None. Points are just the on/off switch.   Dwell is the time that they or the switch is closed. The coil builds up current until the switch opens, triggering the spark. There are no upsides to running points other than nostalgia.  The electronic ignition just replaced the mechanical "points That corrode and wear out" with a magnetic switch with no wearing parts. Did you know that ? See, we can learn.

Come on...you know I know that....I have converted over systems that get lots of driving time. No disadvantage to points for less than 1,000 miles a year. Zip, zero.

By the way, when electronic fails, it fails entirely hard. Something to keep in mind...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

MoparLeo

Very little wear on anything if you don't use it.  The original Electronic ignitions very rarely fail. If they do, it is generally the ecu. I have only had 1 fail in over 50 years of driving, over a million hi-way miles. The pre-73 cars/trucks that I had driven before required constant maintenance ( cleaning, regapping and eventual replacement in all the point ignition vehicles annually. And just within a few thousand miles.) And the parts were available everywhere. Electronic ignition was not widely used until after 1973. If you needed a quick set of points or an ecu today, I bet it would be easier to get an ecu.  Face it, today if you want performance and reliability you go with electronic high energy ignitions, and ecu controlled fuel injection. What happens when that fails ? Well you won't have to worry about that because it will have to be defective as it will not wear out in many years. The good old days weren't that good, believe me.   I learned a lot in those days because you had to to keep a car on the road. No Toyota's or Honda's ( well just motorcycles) to speak of. The only import car you saw were VW bugs everywhere. Why?? they were cheap, air cooled, low maintenance. Every other American  car that ran leaked/used oil. Service stations had racks and racks of oil on the gas islands because you needed it. Cars needed "lube" jobs every six months. And that was the suspension parts, wheel bearings, transmission and differential fluid changes. Annual tune-ups. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, points ,condensor , ignition coils. Filters, Batteries lasted about 2 years if you kept them full of distilled water and made sure the generator and voltage regulator were adjusted properly. The only thing good on the old cars was the gauge of steel used in the body panels, everything else didn't last long. Brakes were terrible.  So you needed to be able to pound the dents out! Cars were very high maintenance .  It not because the old stuff was "better" back then, but had a soul. Can you see people restoring any cars made in the last 20 years, 20 years from now ? Well maybe an SRT or Hellcat...
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Mrbill426