Main Menu

70 V Code Cuda 4 speed

Started by horse, September 24, 2022, 08:02:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

horse

Heres the info on the interwebs from a lawyer based in Las Vegas

On or about May 2004 my office was retained to recover the purchase price of 75K for a client who had purchased a 1970 white six pack cuda VIN BS23V0B234695. The client who himself is one of the most knowledgeable muscle car guys in the world and is also one of the sponsors of this fantastic forum bought the cuda sight unseen based upon the representations of two dealers working together to represent the car as genuine. Upon receipt of the car our client immediately realized the fender tag was a reproduction, the cowl tag had been welded on from another car, and the engine was restamped. In other words the car was a complete rebody and a total fraud.

After my law office was retained we hired Galen Govier to inspect the car and write a report to verify our clients findings. Mr. Govier confirmed that the cuda was as we suspected a complete fraud.

During the litigation we learned who restored the car and the restorer indicated that he restamped the engine and welded a cowl tag from another car on to this cuda. The restorer indicated that it was not his intention to ever represent the cuda as original and that he put on notice both the dealer who bought the car and the dealer who ultimately acquired the reproduction fender tag and affixed it to the cuda that it was a clone.

Subsequently both dealers represented the cuda as genuine and worked in concert to sell it to our client.

We were able to recover all of our clients purchase price plus all his shipping costs and the selling dealer took the car back. However during our investigation in this litigation our office came upon information relating to other cars both dealers had sold. That information is confidential and I am both legally and ethically bound not to disclose the sources for that information and I will explain further in a moment.

After our client recovered his purchase price and paid us in butter burgers and boring stories of his vintage racing days we all hoped that would be the last we heard of that cuda.

Unfortunately one of the dealers elected to put that very same cuda back on his websight for an asking price of over 100K. My office was alerted to this by another client with a perceived grieveance against this dealer regarding another car sold by this dealer who retained us because he believes the cuda was sold by that dealer for 125K and that the the dealer did not fully disclose the rebody, restamp and identity change history of this cuda. We are currently in the process of investigating that POSSIBILITY. I stress this is just a possibilty. We have therefore acquired a great deal of background information regarding this matter and it relates to other cars besides the cuda and I cannot dicuss or disclose priviliged information even if I wanted too. I hope that everyone understands this and is patient with me regarding this.

We would appreciate any information anyone may have regarding this cuda and as you can see all information will be kept confidential.

anlauto

That really sucks, but at least the guy got his money back.... :bigthumb:

I have a story about a cowl VIN number.....One of my customers was having his car's rust repair and paint work done at another shop....During one of our conversations he had told me that they replaced the cowl with a reproduction....I asked if they swapped over the sequence number onto the new cowl...This customer had no idea what I was talking about and called the shop right from my house....Apparently, they had no idea either, and didn't bother....and the car was just about ready for paint....My customer insisted they weld in the numbers, and thankfully they were able to located the original piece which had already been tossed in the scrap bin. :o

Fast forward to a few months later, when I get the car at my shop....sure enough, the cowl has the VIN stamp that matches the dash tag....but like you just mentioned in the car above....a quick feel underneath and it was/still is a blobby welded mess....so in the future, it would be pretty darn hard to explain why someone would swap that number and NOT take the time to properly metal finish the underside BEFORE welding the new cowl on  :drunk: so someone's first impression of the car will be REBODY :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

It is a shame that there are so many who are willing to take advantage of others by forging VINs... makes it worse for everyone.  It is a beautiful car, and would probably bring close to the same money in any case if the seller were honest - I love the car in white and might pay a premium for a well done clone if I knew what I was getting - some people are just lame. :verymad:

I have my broadcast sheet but no tag, so will be putting a repop tag on when the time comes - that being said IF I ever sell my car I will be sure to be upfront about what it exactly is.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

HP_Cuda

I can see where some would not like to hear about rebodies (fake) sales of Cuda's but they do happen.

Please look into the details before saying "possibly" it wasn't one.

:)
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

6bblgt

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on October 24, 2022, 04:54:55 PM
..... - that being said IF I ever sell my car I will be sure to be upfront about what it exactly is.

you may be honest about it, but that detail doesn't stay with the car on its next ownership transfer

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 26, 2022, 05:03:17 PM
Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on October 24, 2022, 04:54:55 PM
..... - that being said IF I ever sell my car I will be sure to be upfront about what it exactly is.

you may be honest about it, but that detail doesn't stay with the car on its next ownership transfer

or the next, ore the next , or the next.....a lot can happen in fifty plus years :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

A lot can happen in 50+ years, that is very true - but my son wants to document the progress with a youtube channel as well as here so at least there will be some documentation of what we did, best we can do
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....