Main Menu

71 340 Cuda convertible...ANOTHER UPDATE

Started by anlauto, April 21, 2019, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I agree Dan, the car is a total mess, and I'll admit I went bonkers for it in the morning when I first saw it thinking it was a legit 71 Cuda project which don't come up very often....but it only took the keen eye of several members here to point out inconsistencies in the car and the guy's story which made me take a closer second look much to my dismay. :crying:

If someone with VERY deep pockets wanted to build something out of that, I wouldn't be against helping them out, although it would be quite a challenge. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

worthywads

I wonder if this vehicle was just the section from drivers seat area forward it would still be bidding to the same price.  Doesn't seem like anything from the dash back will be usable.

No wonder the VIN number isn't displayed.

JS29

I my self would like to know what the upper tie-bar and vent cowl numbers are, from the striker panel back are not from a BS27H1.  :Stirring:  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: worthywads on April 22, 2019, 11:16:46 AM
I wonder if this vehicle was just the section from drivers seat area forward it would still be bidding to the same price.  Doesn't seem like anything from the dash back will be usable.

No wonder the VIN number isn't displayed.
I don't think the people bidding know what they're looking at. They are as fooled as I was the first time I looked at it  :headbang:  I did send a message to the seller giving him my opinion, but never received a response.  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ragtopdodge

I flagged it.

It's obvious that it's NOT A CUDA, but a Barracuda!

:thumbdown:

anlauto

Well you're wrong because the car IS what the VIN says it is, in this case the car IS a BS27H1 Cuda convertible that someone used parts from a Barracuda to fix. Whether they used MORE of the Barracuda then the original Cuda is really not of any concern The title and dash VIN still say Cuda :alan2cents:

I went through all this when I restored the Barrelcuda  :pokeeye:

ragtopdodge

No tail panel chrome holes.

Barracuda emblem holes.

No black paint on the tail panel.

Bogus car.

ragtopdodge

Show me pictures of the radiator support VIN!

Show me pictures of the cown VIN!

BH car all day long.

70 Challenger Lover

Even if it is a BH convertible, the new owner could turn it into yet another hemi convertible tribute car and ask well into the six figure mark. Buyers seem to be paying it regardless of pedigree.

anlauto

Quote from: ragtopdodge on April 23, 2019, 11:21:21 AM
No tail panel chrome holes.

Barracuda emblem holes.

No black paint on the tail panel.

Bogus car.

We've already come to the conclusion the rear clip is from a Barracuda.  :alan2cents: It's a Cuda that's been repaired using a Barracuda rear clip.

I would like to see the cowl and rad support numbers as well, but I'm sure they match the Cuda VIN, just not sure where it's sectioned.

ragtopdodge

Rear clip was not even a convertible!

Look...no convert-specific door jamb sliders in the door jamb:

JS29

:deadhorse:Striker panel has already been discussed!

anlauto

Quote from: ragtopdodge on April 24, 2019, 10:22:11 AM
Rear clip was not even a convertible!

Look...no convert-specific door jamb sliders in the door jamb:

Yup...I noticed that too !

CudamanTom

A couple things kinda bring up a flag for me.
The sheet metal around the base/mount for the convert top (outlined in white) and how the sheet metal is cut on each side and including the center piece. Looks like those were puzzled in where the hard top used to be.
And the cross-member for the hydraulic pump/rear seat (circled in yellow) and how crappy the welds are, not factory).
Of course other things too...
But man whomever is the new owner is going to have a rude awakening very soon IMO. i just can't see spending any amount of money on that "Frankenstein" of a car. It's a shame someone is about to lose tens of thousands of dollars on scrap metal.
71 Cuda Vert (clone) - 440/4 Black/Black
71 Cuda Hardtop - 440/4 Sassy Grass green/Black
70 Cuda Vert - 340/6 Rally Red/White (Previously Owned)

CudamanTom

Of course I'm curious also if the trunk hinge is tied to the above to hold/weigh down the sheet metal piece? LOL
71 Cuda Vert (clone) - 440/4 Black/Black
71 Cuda Hardtop - 440/4 Sassy Grass green/Black
70 Cuda Vert - 340/6 Rally Red/White (Previously Owned)