Main Menu

86 original miles 70 Hemi Cuda

Started by Challenger in NC, February 20, 2020, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Wow...can never figure out why someone would spring for the hemi and then stick winter tire rims on the car.... :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Are automatic coupes fetching seven figures these days ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: dodj on February 20, 2020, 05:47:58 PM
Wow...can never figure out why someone would spring for the hemi and then stick winter tire rims on the car.... :dunno:
Most people who didn't order optional wheels intended to either buy a set of mags soon after taking delivery of the car, or in some cases like probably was the case with this car, use it to build a race car.  Why waste money on options you were going to toss in the trash or store in the corner of the garage?

Cuda Cody

Notice there's no blackout cowl?  Super neat car, but I think the asking price might be a tad on the high side.  :unbelievable:

captcolour

It was at Mecum Indy a few years back.  Got to see it in person and chat with the owner.  It got to around $700K if I remember and didn't meet reserve.

6bblgt

it has had lots of work - one would have to inspect it in person to determine what is 50 years old & what is ~10 years old

it sold at Barrett-Jackson in 2007 for $550  :thinking:

headejm

"Produced May 25, 1970 at the Los Angeles assembly plant"

Bpret

Question on the blackout on cowl? Did all 70 cudas get the blackout or is it a plant/time schedule thing. I have a 70 cuda convertible early April car. Had original paint on car no blackout I hand sanded area no sign of black. I realize anything could have happened before I owned it but have noticed others without it. I did mine without it since I have pictures before restoring it with no black out.

JS29

Quote from: headejm on February 20, 2020, 08:10:17 PM
"Produced May 25, 1970 at the Los Angeles assembly plant"
VIN states R0B Not E, I an lead to believe no hemi cars were produced at the Los Angeles plant.  :alan2cents:

floorit426

Just my .02, but what do you do with a car that has only 86 miles on it?

JS29

Quote from: floorit426 on February 21, 2020, 07:18:21 AM
Just my .02, but what do you do with a car that has only 86 miles on it?
Garage furniture, for the rich and famous!  :yes:

BIGSHCLUNK

Maybe just me, but I'm always very suspicious when I see car like this. Think back to 1970..... who buys that car back then and parks it? The height of power, the height of street racing. Original owner dies maybe? Ok that happens, my nephew got his SRT8 that way. And yes it had like 1400 miles when he bought it. But 86 ?  And yes low miles, yet it does get drivin!  And yes to "buy it now"... to do what? Park it in humidity / temp controlled storage? Bring it to BJ in hopes of more $$$ ? I know of some stocks and real estate options that will generate far better returns down the road.

ec_co

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on February 21, 2020, 07:59:45 AM
Maybe just me, but I'm always very suspicious when I see car like this. Think back to 1970..... who buys that car back then and parks it? The height of power, the height of street racing. Original owner dies maybe? Ok that happens, my nephew got his SRT8 that way. And yes it had like 1400 miles when he bought it. But 86 ?  And yes low miles, yet it does get drivin!  And yes to "buy it now"... to do what? Park it in humidity / temp controlled storage? Bring it to BJ in hopes of more $$$ ? I know of some stocks and real estate options that will generate far better returns down the road.

if it was a drag car, 86 miles could have been 1/4 mile at a time
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

JH27N0B

My guess is that the car was purchased to drag race, and the odometer was disconnected in the course of modifying it to build it up as a race car.
The car was later restored back to original, and the the odometer was hooked back up then. If that is the case, the odometer reading doesn't include the "1/4 mile at a time" mileage.
That is my theory anyway, I don't have any inside knowledge of this car.