Main Menu

Anybody like 1971 Chargers ?

Started by anlauto, January 29, 2020, 06:47:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Getting harder to find. I wonder if those gills were welded into the doors?
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Mine too, if it were still here I would sure look at it. Be a nice car to lightly modify.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 29, 2020, 08:24:21 PM
Still my fav year for Chargers  :bigthumb:
Yeah, I learned to like the fuselage cars too, but for me, the '68-9 & 70 cars were the ultra ne plus Chargers. Visions of a dark green, black vinyl roofed hemi 4 speed with black guts still rings in my mind after I saw it in Grand Bend in '68-9. OOOH baby!! Still gives me a wee twinge, say no more, say no more.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

I have a soft spot for them too, but there's just no market for them to resell... :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

303 Mopar

With the 2nd gen becoming unattainable for most due to price and scarcity, 3rd gen Chargers were relatively easy to find and affordable. However, in the recent months even these Chargers and Super Bees have risen in price dramatically.

71383bee

Wow! that's a sweet 71 if done!

They are finally getting some respect in the world.  I've owned several and they seriously are some of the best cars i've had.  They handle wonderfully and look great in my opinion.   Agree that 71/72's are the best for the 3rd gens.  The 72's get a knock for the square marker lights but the rallye package really accented the car well and is more rare than an R/T or a Super Bee.  The 71's had ALL of the options though.  Lots a of really cool and rare combos came out of that year.   This car is cool with the green interior on top of the sublime exterior.  Only thing missing IMHO is the 4 speed. 

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

anlauto

I think 71's are the pinnacle...the door louvers, stripes, Ramcharger hood, spoliers, colour keyed bumpers, great colours... I would take one any day over the boxy 2nd generation Chargers :pokeeye:

RUNCHARGER

I like the 68-70 of course but I actually prefer a 71 as well. Like the 68-70 you need big tires on them to really make them look good. The cars really drive nice and are better built than an E-body by quite a bit,
Sheldon

gygeneral

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 30, 2020, 08:47:21 AM
I like the 68-70 of course but I actually prefer a 71 as well. Like the 68-70 you need big tires on them to really make them look good. The cars really drive nice and are better built than an E-body by quite a bit,

I agree, I have a 71 Roadrunner and it drives way better than the Challenger I had, even with those crappy bias ply tires on it.

Cuda70-74

1968-70 charger but mainly 68 tho best year in my opinion. I do like the the first gen charger rear seats. I would like to install it in my 68 charger. I wonder if the 71-72 chargers have any cool peices I could add to my 68
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Burdar

71-72 are alright if they are optioned correctly.  I think the 71-72 Plymouth B-bodies look much better.

dodj

Quote from: Burdar on January 30, 2020, 09:30:00 AM
71-72 are alright if they are optioned correctly.  I think the 71-72 Plymouth B-bodies look much better.
:iagree:
Not a fan of the '71 Charger, but the '71 RR is my favourite runner.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71383bee

Quote from: dodj on January 30, 2020, 09:55:40 AM
Quote from: Burdar on January 30, 2020, 09:30:00 AM
:iagree:
Not a fan of the '71 Charger, but the '71 RR is my favourite runner.

I've owned both!  I think the charger is more swept and refined.  The Plymouth is more ballsy and in your face.  The front end looks like a predator fish trying to devour you!   And the bulges over the rear wheel wells blending with the C pillars are fantastic. 

My 71 EL5 N96 runner was an excellent car!

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top