Main Menu

Cheap Charger project...OPINION NEEDED

Started by anlauto, November 13, 2020, 07:46:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Dang. Wrong end of the country. Still time to add Ramcharger hood, make firewall non A/C etc. Better investment to buy Paul's S-bee though I guess.
Sheldon

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

What do you think this car built as a 1971 Super Bee Resto-mod would be worth ?
First off...I say Super Bee and not R/T because of the expensive doors...

I'm thinking 392 Hemi, 5spd, Front coil overs with R&P, 4 wheel discs, aftermarket AC, Dakota Digital dash maybe ?

Stock appearing outside painted bumpers spoilers etc...GY3 and black

Is that a $100K car ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

xx88man

2 things

1) can you even find R/T doors? That's a real question

2) personally I don't think your plan would be worth $100k. I'm not an expert. I am very curious to see what other people think though
Keep yer foot in it

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on November 13, 2020, 09:55:04 AM
What do you think this car built as a 1971 Super Bee Resto-mod would be worth ?
First off...I say Super Bee and not R/T because of the expensive doors...

I'm thinking 392 Hemi, 5spd, Front coil overs with R&P, 4 wheel discs, aftermarket AC, Dakota Digital dash maybe ?

Stock appearing outside painted bumpers spoilers etc...GY3 and black

Is that a $100K car ?
Not even $50k. Those cars just don't seem to command the $$$. Ask CP.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Fickle market. I love them and would buy it to build what I want and not look back. Risky for resale though, I wouldn't do it. Honestly for a sure bet it would be better to spend the extra $$$ for an E-body or 68-70 Charger if you want to build to sell.
Sheldon

anlauto

Please keep the opinions coming....
Tim Welborn sold his brown/white 71 Charger Resto-mod for $70K USD at auction.
There is another blue one (ugly in my opinion) that has run through Mecum three times with no sale... high bid around $80K...Really personalized and not pretty in my opinion.

IF (big if) the body is solid and needs very little for body and paint (colour change) ...doing just a basic rocker guard black bottom...
Altercation front and rear coil over suspension, Wilwood discs, 392 crate Hemi TKO 5 speed, Vintage Air, PW,  17" YO rallies...stock interior spoilers/mirrors/ AG hood maybe?

I think I would be a minimum of $80K CDN is parts overall...If I thought it would be an "easy" sale at $75K USD, I might consider it...

HOWEVER...I'm in total agreement that these are not the most popular car to re-sell....I see restore V-code cars selling for less then that....but "resto-mods" do seem to be the NOT TICKET these days...

@bpsmopar ...you run in these 71 B Body circles, is there a market for a car built like this ?

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 13, 2020, 12:44:35 PM
Fickle market. I love them and would buy it to build what I want and not look back. Risky for resale though, I wouldn't do it. Honestly for a sure bet it would be better to spend the extra $$$ for an E-body or 68-70 Charger if you want to build to sell.

I hear you loud and clear Sheldon...At the end it would certainly be easier to sell an E Body or second gen Charger, but at this end....It would be another $10K-$15K CDN  to find a starter car in the same condition, assuming it's rust free needing no rust repair at $8500 CDN.

What's your son going to have in his 68 once purchased and all the rust fixed (free labour ?) ?

RUNCHARGER

Sean is all in at $16k CDN right now with an all rust repaired shell with 3.91's etc. but I don't think finding a deal like that is realistic, the AMD bill was at $10k, I put 150 hours in so that would be another $15k plus the core charge.
Sheldon

xx88man

If building it for resale would GY3 be the best colour choice?   :thinking:
Keep yer foot in it

Chryco Psycho

Well first if you do R&P & sgrew the car up the value drops not rises .
Second my fully rebuilt , rust free ,done 71 Charger 440 4 spd , rebuilt & painted etc which had $50 k invested got a best offer of $12k
SO go for it !

Cuda Cody

I love the car, but it would be very hard to make money on it.   :alan2cents: 

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 13, 2020, 03:58:08 PM
Well first if you do R&P & sgrew the car up the value drops not rises .
Second my fully rebuilt , rust free ,done 71 Charger 440 4 spd , rebuilt & painted etc which had $50 k invested got a best offer of $12k
SO go for it !

I hear what you're saying ....I sold my fully restored V-code 71 R/T for $40K USD and that was not easy....but I think the market is really changing nowadays and we're seeing a lot of these resto-mods bring some pretty strong prices...and in my opinion, people buying them are looking for custom suspension, drivetrain, modern conveniences etc... It's not my cup of tea, I still love my OE restorations, but to stay busy, I think we need to adapt...

Restore this car as a R/T clone or Super Bee clone and I agree it might be a $25K-$30K car at best...but as a resto-mod not only does the market increase, I think so does the resale value  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Buy a 2-3-4 Barracuda, don't overthink it. Hang a 71 nose on it and have at it. You might do okay on a 71 Charger but your buyers would want it blue if you painted it yellow, they won't care with a 71 Cuda looking resto mod. Or better yet a Chevelle or Camaro, you wouldn't be building the car for you.
Sheldon