Main Menu

cuda louver opinion

Started by cuda hunter, December 28, 2019, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Can someone tell me what these are?  Cuda or challenger?  They do appear to be cuda as they don't have the sharp corners on the bottom.
I'm hoping someone on here can tell me who made them.  Or if they are for sure cuda's.
These have been for sale for something like 2 years.  I"m considering them if I can get him to bend on the price a little but I want some verification.  I'm passing through that area very shortly.  Figured it might be worth it. 

Opinions please. 

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/pts/d/brownsboro-cuda-rear-louvers/7041905524.html
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

mccannix

Appear to be Challenger to me but no real way to tell without measurement across...bottom is best.
Definately a reproduction louver

cuda hunter

Ok.  great.

do you know the numbers on both chally and cuda louvers?

Can you tell me what you see that is the obvious reproduction giveaway?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

benlavigne

Looks like a Cuda louver, bottom slat on Challenger one is less rounded.
The hinge is all wrong on the one for sale...

Ben

Brads70

I'm thinking it might be an AMC louver, Hornet etc...? I don't think it's e-body at least not an original one?

mccannix

On seeing Bens pictures, I checked my cars and agree with Ben that it does appear to be Cuda style.
But I highly doubt it is original.
Welds were crude on originals but these are even cruder.
The three holes on the top each side for the original style hinges are not there which even the several reproduction ones out there have.
Both pictured are factory louvers.
The measurement across the Cuda bottom fin side to side is 55 inches
The measurement across the Challenger bottom fin side to side is 57 inches.
Plus an original Cuda bottom fin is wider than an original Challenger at center.
Middle fins are wider as well Cuda to Challenger
Dont know about the repros,... have never had one to check, but my guess is they used the same widths on fins for both.
If you get the bottom measurement from the guy it should tell you if it will fit your application.
You can put a Challenger louver on a Cuda but you cant use a Cuda louver on a Challenger.
I got a louver off an AMC car in a yard once Brad and are a different animal altogether.

cuda hunter

It sure does look like the first picture you posted.
Those hinges are very different. 

Quote from: mccannix on December 28, 2019, 01:37:09 PM
On seeing Bens pictures, I checked my cars and agree with Ben that it does appear to be Cuda style.
But I highly doubt it is original.
Welds were crude on originals but these are even cruder.
The three holes on the top each side for the original style hinges are not there which even the several reproduction ones out there have.
Both pictured are factory louvers.
The measurement across the Cuda bottom fin side to side is 55 inches
The measurement across the Challenger bottom fin side to side is 57 inches.
Plus an original Cuda bottom fin is wider than an original Challenger at center.
Middle fins are wider as well Cuda to Challenger
Dont know about the repros,... have never had one to check, but my guess is they used the same widths on fins for both.
If you get the bottom measurement from the guy it should tell you if it will fit your application.
You can put a Challenger louver on a Cuda but you cant use a Cuda louver on a Challenger.
I got a louver off an AMC car in a yard once Brad and are a different animal altogether.

IRON MAN

Quote from: Brads70 on December 28, 2019, 12:44:44 PM
I'm thinking it might be an AMC louver, Hornet etc...? I don't think it's e-body at least not an original one?
I've been looking two years for AMC AMX louvers. The closest fit and not a bad fit are the AMC Hornet louvers. Hornet louvers (six blade) are way different in shape tha e-body louvers (five blade). Actually still looking for both my 68 AMX and 73 Challg. Here's a photo of the AMX, Jav, Hornet louvers as once advertised on eBay.

screamindriver

It appears the louvers in question are stamped from one sheet and just the bottom louver is a separate piece ??

CudaMoparRay

Definitely in on this thread to find out what's what
Good luck to you @cuda hunter

Katfish

Bad repo, hinges are awful and there's a weird notch in the top blade.

Racer57

My car had louvers on it when I bought it and I despise the looks of them. If it wasn't for the holes for the mounts I would take the thing off and damn near give it away !!  :barf:

Aar1064

Quote from: Katfish on December 28, 2019, 06:09:06 PM
Bad repo, hinges are awful and there's a weird notch in the top blade.

:iagree: I'll also add that the curve on ends of each louver is to hard. Should be a gentle curve.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Racer57 on December 28, 2019, 08:22:58 PM
My car had louvers on it when I bought it and I despise the looks of them. If it wasn't for the holes for the mounts I would take the thing off and damn near give it away !!  :barf:
I don't hear that one often. 

Once they are on, your stuck until you repaint the car. 

Sparxx

Only one of the hinges is there and they are both different??