Main Menu

Cuda rear black window molding for louver

Started by Racer57, March 10, 2020, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Upper half of my rear window molding is black due to having a louver.  Is the black painted and easily removed ? If not, if I remove my louver, I will sell them with the louver and buy new.

6bblgt

a '70 Plymouth e-body with the rear window louver package would include a black vinyl top & textured painted black rear window mouldings to match the vinyl top (& dual mirrors)

the textured rear window mouldings were also included on the Barracuda Gran Coupe with OPTIONAL vinyl tops

:dunno:   the mouldings may have/may not have been used in production for the full 1970 model year   :dunno:

are your mouldings textured or just painted black?

Racer57

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 10, 2020, 01:06:32 PM
a '70 Plymouth e-body with the rear window louver package would include a black vinyl top & textured painted black rear window mouldings to match the vinyl top (& dual mirrors)

the textured rear window mouldings were also included on the Barracuda Gran Coupe with OPTIONAL vinyl tops

:dunno:   the mouldings may have/may not have been used in production for the full 1970 model year   :dunno:

They are smooth, not textured. So I'm going to assume they are standard moldings that were painted.  Roseville has new for around $275, but I might just strip and polish to save a couple bucks.

I didn't know about the vinyl top/louver combo.  My fender tag does have the code for a vinyl top but nothing for louvers.   Thanks.

anlauto

They are made from stainless, you shouldn't have any issues removing the paint and polishing them back to a bright finish...Even if someone sanded them prior to paint, they can be brought back with a little more effort  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

:iagree: Wet sand, keep going finer grit and buff.  :alan2cents:

Racer57

Buffing them out will be easy. I have an big old 1/2hp electric motor that probably weighs 50lbs. I've been using it since the 80's to buff just about everything possible. Got "pro" pads and bricks of compound.  I've used it to buff steel prior to chroming.  :D    Only concern will be not getting carried away and warping something.    Thanks for the help.

cuda hunter

Just to show you the difference since you had not heard of them before.

I was so hoping they were textured and coming up for sale.  They aren't easy to find. Although a bunch of them were installed factory. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

benlavigne

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 10, 2020, 01:06:32 PM

@6bblgt , were there similar textured mouldings on Challengers with louvers?
Thanks!

Ben

6bblgt

No textured mouldings for Challengers
&
Challengers with louvers were available with and without a vinyl top