Main Menu

Having a hard time not buying this one... 71 Cuda

Started by Cuda Cody, January 31, 2017, 09:12:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Guys, I'm losing sleep over this one.   :soshelp:  This car is for sale on a few site and looks to be super solid and about 90% original.  The feeling I get from restoring a car or sub assemblies is one of the best, but this car is just as cool as they come IMO.

[ebay]192090170247[/ebay]

Should I sell the 71 Cuda 2 projects and buy this 71 Cuda?  I would be giving 2 nice projects.  One is a 340 real billboard 4 speed Curious Yellow and the other is a FC7 Purple White interior auto with numbers engine. 

:help:

anlauto

I've never been a fan of survivors and that one needs a "paintless dent remover god"   almost every panel has dents....
I looked at it in Carlisle and my first thought was "this car needs a restoration"... :alan2cents:
I think the asking price is absurd....

With that being said......I do like GY3 project cars ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Giving up a 71 340 4 speed GY3 billboard project and a 71 340 FC7 / White interior for a column shift / bench 340 71 Cuda?  :thinking:

anlauto

You wouldn't really be giving it up because once I finish the restoration you can buy it back.... :bigmoney: ;)

You're just giving up that warm fuzzy feeling you get doing all that work....  :P :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Alan is pretty funny!  You certainly don't see many bench seat column shift ebody cudas anymore!  Nice!   :D
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

headejm

Do a cost / benefit analysis. What are the two worth vs. what this one would be worth. Is the 340 4-spd billboard car numbers matching? That sounds like a much cooler car.  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

The 71 4 Speed Billboard Cuda is not a numbers car.  Only body and fender tag match, no engine or trans.

I'm thinking the 71 Cuda on eBay is maybe a $50k car? 

Quote from: headejm on January 31, 2017, 12:08:50 PM
Do a cost / benefit analysis. What are the two worth vs. what this one would be worth. Is the 340 4-spd billboard car numbers matching? That sounds like a much cooler car.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Jeez I dunno. My guess is that in the future a survivor car will appreciate faster than a restored car. Those little dents might have bothered me a few years ago but these days they are almost a badge of honor. I'm in the minority I know but the lack of billboards is a real plus for me too. That's a really interesting car that I would walk by multi carb versions to look at.

Sheldon
Sheldon

headejm

In the spirit of open and fearless communications...for me, I wouldn't want to drive a car in that condition. It looks just like a 45 year old survivor. It's got great bones but would need a full restoration. The body dents are bad. I do not like the color, lack of rallye dash, or the body side moldings. The column shift and bench seat are cool. Not sure why they undercoated the hood? Reserve not met at $45k. That plus $30k to restore it...that car is not a $75k car. I think the reserve is too high.  :alan2cents:

Brads70

That is a pretty cool car, I love that colour!  :Stirring: :rofl:  ( sorry I know that didn't help at all... :D)

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 31, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
The feeling I get from restoring a car or sub assemblies is one of the best,
Should I sell the 2 projects and buy this 1 Cuda?

If good feelings is our unit of measurement, then you'll get twice the good feelings from doing 2 cars.   
Seems like you should just build the two you have.

HP_Cuda

I think most folks are saying - would you rather have two Cuda's or one low mileage survivor one.

I would go for the prior than the latter but utimately it's up to you Cody.

Those dents are fairly sizeable, do you like the color and options?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

realn96

I think your out of your mind! Its cool to see a "survivor" but How can you not get tired of a car like that? I happen to like the color! But I and this is my opinion, I have no use for a column shift car. I also HATE the side moldings! I am surprised its up to that much money. I'd say that's top dollar! keep what you have cody! far better off. :alan2cents: 
it is cool to see a preserved cuda!

70chall440

My opinion not being a "resto" or even "survivor" guy is that you would be giving up 2 better overall cars for this one. If this was a 4spd car with less damage maybe... but as it sits I wouldn't even consider it. Sure it is a survivor but how long are you going to live with the notable issues and at what point does fixing them push it into the restored sides vs the survivor side. Again and in the spirit of full disclosure, the cars you have are far more interesting and in the end I would be far happier with them than this one. Rich people problems...  8)
Mopar or no car!!!

Cuda Cody

Thanks for the help guys.  You've talked me down off the ledge.  Looking back I most likely would have regretted it and wished I just restored what I already had.  So that's what I'm going to do.  Keeping the projects and passing on the column shift Cuda.   :drinkingbud: