Main Menu

Mopar performance CHROME challenger scoops ---Retro!

Started by challenger3406pk, December 27, 2021, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challenger3406pk

So who has ever seen a pair of these?? They are genuine Ma Mopar! I only snapped one pic, sorry about the reflection. How cool are these? Talk about dress up chrome. They are completely chrome plated with black paint in the scoop. If I didnt see them myself I would neve have believed it! The part numbers are different than the regular inserts, so yes, these are legit.

340Challman

Interesting. These were on my car when I bought it. I just assumed that a previous owner had them chromed, but maybe not. Mine had the rear section that the block off plates screwed to cut off so I bought repops. What is the part # on the box and on the scoops themselves?
Kevin

challenger3406pk

I dont have the part numbers. I gentleman I was buying some nos stuff from had these. I snapped a pic for a conversation piece. He has the pair and they are in their original boxes. Stupid me should have got a pic of the part numbers

dodj

Interesting. I have only seen chrome inserts on 'cudas.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

challenger3406pk

Quote from: anlauto on December 28, 2021, 07:22:29 AM
I don't believe it.... :huh:

I'm telling you, they are legit! if I go back and get more stuff, ill et the part numbers and take pics of the box. He's keeping them as a conversation piece.

anlauto

No, I believe you...I just don't believe it....does anybody have a picture of them in a catalog or something ? That would be cool to see :lookatthat:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I wouldn't want them on my car but those are really cool.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

340Challman

Quote from: blown motor on December 28, 2021, 05:23:45 PM
I wouldn't want them on my car but those are really cool.

Yep. I didn't like chrome inserts either. I'll get the part number off of mine and then we'll at least know if mine were just chromed originals or something else. The one thing I notice is that the blacked out portion on mine was not as far forward as the ones above. The black was much deeper in the scoop on mine.
Kevin

challenger3406pk

Yep. I didn't like chrome inserts either. I'll get the part number off of mine and then we'll at least know if mine were just chromed originals or something else. The one thing I notice is that the blacked out portion on mine was not as far forward as the ones above. The black was much deeper in the scoop on mine.
[/quote]
The pic may be misleading a bit, it makes the black paint look bigger. Its Basically just in the enclosed area of the scoop when looking straight down.

70/6chall

Wow! I've never seen chrome scoop inserts on the power bulge hood. I noticed on my hood after my last repaint, of course this was several years later, that the paint started flaking off in large pieces. Just the inserts only I attributed the flaking paint due to improper prep work. After removing the inserts for a proper prepping and repaint ( K2 Go-Mango) I found that they were aluminum and actually took to polishing real easy. I figured that the painter was unaware of the difference in metals between hood and inserts and did regular prep work. But instead of having them polished to a chrome appearance I preferred  the painted look. So mine are not steel but aluminum.   Thanks,   Al

340Challman

Quote from: 70/6chall on December 28, 2021, 09:17:46 PM
So mine are not steel but aluminum.   Thanks,   Al

Are they aluminum or pot metal? I believe they should be pot metal.
Kevin

70/6chall

Thanks Challman, After giving it thought they probably are pot metal. The feel of the metal has an aluminum quality to it. I notice that this metal polishes real easy and will create a shine with a reflective surface like chrome. I was noticing how the paint was cracking at first and then started flaking off in large pieces of paint right down to the metal itself. So, I prepped the metal primed and repainted now they look like they did when freshly painted.   Al

cuda hunter

:popcorn:

Very interested to know what the part number difference's are. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

340Challman

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 29, 2021, 07:36:44 AM
:popcorn:

Very interested to know what the part number difference's are.

Me too. I'm going to run to my storage unit today and get the part number off of mine.
Kevin