Main Menu

NOS Superbird wing .... going cheap!

Started by Brads70, March 02, 2020, 02:32:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Sure don't see many NOS wings for sale. 
Or original wings for that matter. 

But that is quite the price.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Truth is most likely any original S-bird around these days has it's wing. I guess there could be that 1 guy though....
Sheldon

anlauto

I guess if you had an original Superbird that the wing got damaged in an accident you could always insist you insurance company replace it with an original one :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Did he mean $2000?  I have no idea of values.

Chryco Psycho

Topcat

There was once a Burnt Orange Daytona floating around Los Gatos in the mid to late Eighties; Castrated....No Wing!

I saw it at least twice, knowing and heard about it since the window was flush; with a Charger grille.

I bet it happened quite a bit that there'd be some buyers..,.Bird or Daytona.

Katfish

Very interesting read in the description.  He has other stuff and is probably expecting no where near that price and would let it go for much less.

" I have no idea what the demand might be for this or what it ultimately might be worth.  If I have to keep it for another few years that is fine with me.  Please do not be insulted by my starting price but I have seen another one a few years ago listed for s similar price but have no idea what it sold for.  I really do not need the money for anything so if you have something interesting let me know. "

Cuda416

Unfortunately, this is what's happened to the hobby. Big auction places, put rare cars in the hands of people with too much money and it drives the price up. Been happening for a very long time as we all know.

Seems to have started when some jackass at a car magazine in the 80s did an article in the 80s about finding $100k cars just south of the border. There were Boss 429's corvettes etc. Suddenly everyone's junk became a rare piece of history that commanded 10x what it was really worth at the time. But that's how it goes. People with money, see something with a high price and believe it must be worth that, or it wouldn't be that price. I met a guy who owned two Boss 429's, his and his wife's cars. Almost bought a boss 302 sans motor for $600, but the shell was real. Dude took the motor our and shoved it in a fox body stang.

At the end of the day, some banker, who has a project wing car, (real of clone clone), that someone else is building for them, will look at that and say, gosh darn it, that's nothing, the car is worth a million.....

SMFH

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

cuda hunter

These pictures are of the New Mexico State Patrol Blackbird. Taken in 1980.  This picture came from a car magazine with a small article on the state patrol car.  I can't find it currently but will try to find it.
Notice the light covers. The patrol had to put plexiglass over the flip up lights as I understand.
There is no wing on the car.
As the story goes it sits or sat in a storage yard owned by the wife of the patrolman. She claimed she would never let the car go.
In around 1982 my good friend purchased this superbee in the picture advertised as a superbird in Arizona.
My buddy Dan drove the car for many years wondering where the wing came from. It had a broken front tip showing signs of trauma and no trunk lateral braces. Fast forward some years later, his wife asked God for a new set of front teeth.  That day the superbee was T boned and her teeth were left in the dash.  She got her new teeth.
  The car was destroyed.  However Dan kept the wing and the fresh air set up and the motor and trans from the superbee.
A few years after that we stripped the paint off the wing and the base layer was white with a black overlay that looks like the blackbird.  The story went when he purchased the superbee in Arizona that the wing came off the black bird.
  I now own that wing and it's on my friends barracuda that I now am the proud owner of.   
  So with that long story, there is a very unique historical superbird out there that is missing it's wing. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Spikedog08

That was quite the story!  Very cool!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

JS29

Brads70

Josh, you have to bring it to Carlisle! That car has such a cool personality!  :drooling:

Street_Challenged73

And here people are complaining about the price of a factory '99 3000GT VR-4's combat wing at $1,500-$2,000.
[emoji51]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

cuda hunter

Just realized I had not posted the article about the Blackbird. 
Here it is if anyone has any interest.