Main Menu

Original Scat Pack Bee Sign

Started by Floyd, November 09, 2019, 07:07:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

JH27N0B

Is that the same type/vintage as the one from Steve Julianos collection that sold for around $20,000 in the Mecum auction last spring?

mccannix

It is the same as the one from the Steven Juliano collection.
Believed to be less than 25 true originals left.
Did Steve's really go for that amount ?
I never did see the end amount on that auction

JH27N0B

I don't remember the exact number, but it sold up there in the 18-20K ballpark as I recall.

fc7cuda

That one appears to be a little rough nowhere near as nice as the one is Juliano owned.   :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

barret jackson one sold for 4600.00.    Looks to be in better shape aside from the little hole in the tire. 

I don't have a sign in for the mecum auctions to see what the sale price was.  Anyone else able to log into that? 
https://www.mecum.com/lots/RM0519-375682/dodge-scat-pack-dealership-sign/

3200.00 is what I bet it goes for.  Since he won't ship the sign the only way to get it is to pick it up in Philadelphia.  Kinda limits the value to locals.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JH27N0B

anlauto

I know I'm alone on this....but I think I would rather spend the money and display a nice looking reproduction one in my garage then spend thousands of dollars on a ratty looking one only because it's original... :dunno: If it was a perfect original...I understand, but when something is cracked and broken etc....it doesn't display all that well....but I guess if you're into collecting...these things are rare, so beggars can't be choosers I guess :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Is there a repro available?
Bruce made a nice Scat pack lighted sign for awhile that wasn't a repro, but was an original design inspired by the originals.  They haven't been available for a number of years.  And other than those, I am not aware of any repro lighted Scat Pack signs that have ever been available.
I watch the auction results of vintage signs of many different things and am surprised at how much they bring.  Some of these items are really large and I wonder how many people even have a place where they can display them.  I think much of the market is restaurants and bars, and for automotive, car parts suppliers and petroleum products the market is to car dealers and brokers.  I have a number of beer signs that I've picked up off and on since I was a kid, but looking back I wish I'd picked up some car and petroleum company items that I'd see when I went to swap meets in the 80s and the 90s as they were likely pretty affordable then compared to today.

340challconvert

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

cuda hunter

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 09, 2019, 08:02:00 PM
$19,470!  :bigmoney:

Wow.  That's a pretty big spread from 20k to 4.5K.  condition condition condition.  I'm always amazed by sign prices. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

rocketresto

Guy here locally has the scat pack sign that came out of SL Savidge in Seattle.  Unfortunately it is not cheap and out of my price range.
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

Floyd

The Gardner exhaust guy did a small run of reproductions of the original Bee.  They were really nice.  Size, shape, and colors were very similar but his used a single fluorescent light fixture and had a plastic back.  I'm not sure how many he made, maybe 1-200? 

The originals used 5 incandescent bulbs and had a solid fiber (cardboard) back.  Many  of the originals show some damage/distortion from the heat from the light bulbs. 

Here's a Gardner sign listed on Worthpoint:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/scat-pack-bee-mopar-dodge-superbee-1822502561

cuda hunter

@Floyd  How much is the membership on worthpoint?  Seems like a pretty cool website.

Floyd

I don't know how much Worthpoint costs.  Agree that it looks useful, I'm just too cheap to pay😀