Main Menu

1968 Charger Amp Meter/Electrical Issue Revisited

Started by kent_goins, May 18, 2019, 01:02:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

OK....So i had posted earlier in the year about my 68 charger ammeter clicking and lights in the car blinking off momentarily. Sounded like a relay clicking or a small breaker trip like a discharge. The majority of the answers i received were stating i was having a short and to get it fixed immediately because the next thing would likely be a fire....

Here's something helpful i found out for all of you responders...The wiper motor is in the ammeter circuit and if the wipers get stuck or frozen due to non-use or some other jamming issue, Then the wiper position cannot reset thus causing a load condition and the wiper switch trips internally (the click) resulting in a brief interruption of power in the car and causing the ammeter to go full negative for a split second and the lights and radio to shut off momentarily.i tried to turn on the wipers and they did not work so i disconnected the 3 prong plug in the engine bay on the wiper motor to eliminate that from the circuit. Problem solved...no more power interruptions or clicking.

Lastly i tried to operate the wipers by hand and they are definitely frozen. Now my new problem is how to free the frozen wiper assembly and is it the motor or the wiper transmission. ::)

JS29

@kent_goins  Remove the bracket from the wiper motor, one nut. and see if toy can rotate the wiper arms.  that will isolate the transmission and if that rotates around, then it's time to call Bruce Somer.   :alan2cents: