Main Menu

1970 Cuda Headlights and Wiring changes.

Started by CudaHead, October 16, 2017, 12:16:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

I just bought a 1970 Red Cuda that is very original. I'm trying to keep the original look but I want to make some changes. I have a couple of questions:

I want to relieve some of the amp's running through the bulkhead so I'm considering adding a fusible linked wire from the Alternator to the Starter Relay.
When I do that, should I disconnect the lead going to the bulkhead? It seems to me that would be the thing to do so that I don't have dual paths.

I want to get better performance from my headlights. I can see adding relays will solve that problem but I'm trying not to add things to my engine compartment. I see LED headlights that only pull 2 Amps each. Is that a better path to take?  If so, would I need any other wiring changes for the headlights? Which headlights would I use? I see products for these on Classic Industries and Year One.

I also would like to change some lamps like the one's over the gauges. I see direct replacement LED's that I could use. Any reason that would not be a good path to go with?

Ok that's enough for now. Thanks

Roadman

You can put the headlight relays under the battery box, out of sight. 

Yes, when you do the alt bypass disconnect the wire from the bulk head.   :rebelflag"

shawge

I'm not sold on the LED headlight bulbs just yet. A friend of mine has some on his Chevelle, same Cibie H1/ Hella H4 housings as I use.  The LED light doesn't seem to illuminate as far as the halogens do.  :alan2cents:

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

CudaHead

Thanks, that is what I needed to hear. I think the Halogens look like the way to go. I have been trying to contact the guy who makes the relay kits. I'm not sure why he has not responded.

Racer57

Quote from: CudaHead on October 16, 2017, 12:16:06 PM
I see direct replacement LED's that I could use. Any reason that would not be a good path to go with?
I used these.. https://www.google.com/search?q=Ba9s+W6W+5050+5SMD+LED&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=     
I bought blues and greens. For me personally, with a blue housing lens and using a green LED, the color I felt looks just right. I actually have to turn down the dash light dimmer now.  :worship: They just barely fit into the holes in the light panel so you might have to use some emery or something to round out the hole just a very little. Also, use some dielectric grease on them. It don't take much to twist the LED loose from the base.  Buy extras, just in case.

CudaHead

I had seen ad's for the BA9's. Those were the one's I was going to try. Thanks for the info, I will try the greens ones like you suggested.

Roadman

Quote from: CudaHead on October 23, 2017, 10:28:47 AM
Thanks, that is what I needed to hear. I think the Halogens look like the way to go. I have been trying to contact the guy who makes the relay kits. I'm not sure why he has not responded.
@CudaHead   you really don't need a relay kit, pretty easy to wire up. Just need a couple good relays, wire and terminals. If you want a kit I can build you one for about $30.00. Just need to know where you want to mount the relays. 

CudaHead

Thanks for the info. I'm retired now, but I spent my working life in Computers. I am sure I could do it myself but I thought they might of made a nice layout.  I'm thinking of making a board that would have room for lot's of relays for another project that I just bought. This Red one is too original to mess with, but the new one is not. I'm hoping I can add all the relays, fuses and connections to the one location that I will put under the battery. I had hidden things there before like on my last project, that is where I put my MSD box. Thanks again.

Roadman

Gotcha.   I built this several years ago for a friends Pro Street car. 

CudaHead

Chryco Psycho

I am using LED headlights , they are awesome , but you will need a Cibie/ Lucas or Bosch  reflector to hold a H4 bulb but this is the best route
I still suggest using relays even with the low amperage headlights

CudaHead

That also looks good. Not so sure they look stock. Were they ok to use without the Relay? On this car, I'm trying not to stray from stock on anything. Restored cars are a pain in xxx. I prefer cars I can mess with.

My inbound project:

Roadman

Quote from: CudaHead on October 23, 2017, 03:48:10 PM
That also looks good. Not so sure they look stock. Were they ok to use without the Relay? On this car, I'm trying not to stray from stock on anything. Restored cars are a pain in xxx. I prefer cars I can mess with.

My inbound project:

OMG, my favorite colors.   :veryexcited: :veryexcited:

Chryco Psycho

I would always use relays although I am sure they will work OK without as the LED is much lower amps , you can always hide the relays under the front fender behind the headlight