Main Menu

1970 Heater Blower

Started by Rbob, November 18, 2020, 03:49:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

What is the correct finish?

Mine is black but I am sure it is not correct.  Pics I have seen look different than the wiper motors.

Cuda Cody

Silver Zinc plated is correct for 1970.

Rbob

I cant trust my eyes!

Thank you Cody.

anlauto

If you remove it from the plate, it would be interesting to see if there is black paint under the gasket... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moreparts

Hmmm,  mine is black too.  I've owned the car since '91.  Is it possible a case of different plants or suppliers?

Skdmark

For 70-71 the blower motors are mostly found with the zinc plating. 72-74 they are mostly found semi-gloss black.
Close inspection might let you know what the finish was originally.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Jay Bee

Picture of a restored one (1970 Ebody non-A/C)

Burdar

The later years are definitely black.  72 is a transition year with a lot of things so it would be interesting to see what came on the 72s.  My 73 was black.  Replacement motors were black as well.

What does the date code read on the 1st picture.  Does it match up with the SPD of the car?

Rbob

Pic of date code:

Burdar

Isn't the last 4 numbers the date?  227th day of 1972.

moreparts

I think I'll piggy back on here for a date code opinion.   This looks like a 2459 in a May 15 '70 car.  I'm thinking that would be about right for an original.  Thoughts?

Skdmark

Quote from: Rbob on November 19, 2020, 11:01:49 AM
Pic of date code:

The layout above looks different than the 70-71 blower motors I've handled. The 70-71stamping layout I've seen is
       part number
       vendor code      date code.

I think you have either an over the counter replacement or one pulled from another car.
Has the heater box or heater core ever been rebuilt?

Off my 71 Barracuda with AC
Heavily oxidized when I got it. Hit it with simple green and scrubbed with 0000 steel wool.
1520 = 152nd day of 1970. SPD is 812.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: