Main Menu

1970 wiper motor options

Started by ec_co, March 04, 2024, 05:39:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

I looked and couldn't find anything, but I'm sure someone knows.

Will this '72+ design work for my '70 as an alternative? If so, do I still need to use the resistor from my '70? Keep or change the small wiring harness?

Any problems with these?

Thanks!
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

dodj

I can't tell you if it will fit a '70, but I can tell you it works well in my '73. Much better than the original that was there. You modify the harness to eliminate the resistor.  If I remember right you need to remove the wire from the four pin connector that comes from the resistor and replace it with the wire that feeds the resistor presently.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

ec_co

Since it's a short harness, I wonder if using a '73+ short harness would work? I'm working on trying to restore my current one myself and not spending $400+ for a restored one. It's going to be a driver and not a show car so I just need them to work well. So I'm just looking for options in case I fail plus I'm having a hard time finding a replacement cam gear

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Katfish

I put a 72 motor in my 70, same harness.
The difference is the shaft size that connects to the linkage, slightly smaller on the newer motors.  I added a small shim to take up the slack, but don't think it's really needed.

ec_co

Quote from: Katfish on March 06, 2024, 07:49:14 AMI put a 72 motor in my 70, same harness.
The difference is the shaft size that connects to the linkage, slightly smaller on the newer motors.  I added a small shim to take up the slack, but don't think it's really needed.

Did you have to modify the harness?

Katfish

No change to harness,
73 model PN 40-382

dodj

Quote from: ec_co on March 06, 2024, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: Katfish on March 06, 2024, 07:49:14 AMI put a 72 motor in my 70, same harness.

Did you have to modify the harness?
He wouldn't have to modify it because the original '72 motor still needs the resistor. The new one you are looking at does not require that external resistor.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Katfish

Rebuilt motor doesn't come with that resistor, you'll need to reuse your old 1.
It attaches where that ground strap is.

dodj

I think the wiper motor is the only original type equipment I see in there Rod.   :bigthumb:
Kinda looks out of place.....

Katfish

Horns are still there, although in the wrong spot..... Lol

The 5.7/518 combo has really been a joy, I've driven the car more this last year, than the previous 5 combined.

400hp and 20mpg, what's not to love  :banana:

Jay Bee

Must be an old picture, there's suppose to a 3 speed wiper motor there  :vipermanhiding:

Back to the OP's post, are Cardone motors identical to OEMs?

dodj

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 07, 2024, 01:48:40 PMBack to the OP's post, are Cardone motors identical to OEMs?
No. Not electrically. See post #1

Katfish

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 07, 2024, 01:48:40 PMMust be an old picture, there's suppose to a 3 speed wiper motor there  :vipermanhiding:

Back to the OP's post, are Cardone motors identical to OEMs?

The PN I used looks pretty close to original, don't think you could tell the difference.

If I can get my lazy mechanic to focus, plan is to eventually install a 3-spd wiper..........

EDIT

I guess it's actually rebuilt, so that answers that

Cardone 40-382 Remanufactured Domestic Wiper Motor https://a.co/d/hOro5rq