Main Menu

70 Challenger Starter Click

Started by plymouthbelvy, March 25, 2019, 07:08:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

plymouthbelvy

Hello.I am having starting issues.Turn key and all  it does is the one click.Battery is fully charged and all parts are new such as battery,starter,starter relay,cables and wiring.It did this the other day but started still. I could hear the click for a split second and still turned over and started. I heard this a couple of times but still started. I checked for loose starter wire but all good. Today I went to start after checking for loose wire and all it will do is the one click. I took starter off and had checked at parts store and it passed. I put back on and all it does is click. Can a bad relay do this? Any ideas? Starter is a mini starter and car has about 200 miles on since restoration. Thanks for any input.

Chryco Psycho

is it the starter that is clicking or just the relay ?
A bad relay contact will just click , it is on the inner fender & costs around $15 to replace it

plymouthbelvy

Its the starter that is clicking.Turn key and it clicks once.This is all new as a couple of days ago.Has been starting just fine. Thanks

RJChallenger

It sounds like the starter itself . Is it a loud click? the solenoid on the starter kicks the gear out to engage the ring gear. I've seen starters that tested OK on the test machine, but weren't strong enough to turn the motor over

Chryco Psycho

Green death inside the battery cables ?

Cuda Cody

Sounds like a bad connection or low battery.  Try jumping the car and see if that changes anything.   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Unhook that battery and try another one, that will narrow it down. My forklift used to kill the solenoid contacts all the time I ended up going to a bigger battery and bigger cables and that stopped the contacts from arcing.
Sheldon

plymouthbelvy

Thanks for all the suggestions. All parts are new with less the 200 miles on them. Battery is a new Mopar Red Cap Restoration battery. Starter tested good twice at two locations.I will keep trying to figure it out.Suppose to be 78 and sunny here tomorrow and wanted to drive the wheels off it.Been working on it for three years and ready to drive the heck out of it.

Brads70

Quote from: plymouthbelvy on March 26, 2019, 08:57:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. All parts are new with less the 200 miles on them. Battery is a new Mopar Red Cap Restoration battery. Starter tested good twice at two locations.I will keep trying to figure it out.Suppose to be 78 and sunny here tomorrow and wanted to drive the wheels off it.Been working on it for three years and ready to drive the heck out of it.

Are those Mopar Red Cap Restoration batteries AGM style batteries? If so is/was it fully charged, when they get drawn down it take quite awhile to get them charged back up, they require a battery charger designed for AGM batteries a regular oldschool type battery charger won't cut it. IMO...
https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/blog/three-misconceptions-agm-batteries/

anlauto

I would swap the battery out or try it with a booster car.... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ratroaster

Check your battery with a mutimeter. It should be 12.6 V or higher.  Have you tried to jump your starter relay? You can also test your relay with a 12 V battery charger.  Do you have fresh paint under the battery ground at the engine? If that is all good, I would have the battery load tested especially if you are running a MSD box.   

plymouthbelvy

Yes battery is a AGM type battery. Car has been starting perfect for past 3 months or so.This issue just started.I keep a battery tender on battery all the time. Battery is fully charged. Going to swap out relay and try that. Let you know if that works.Thanks everybody.

Burdar

Get out your test light and start testing wires while a helper turns the key.  That will narrow it down in a hurry.(before you just start replacing parts)

Cuda Cody

Yes, like @Brads70  mentioned, the AGM batteries take a special charger.  So if you have used a normal battery tender that might be the issue.  I know they told me the charger should only be on it for 2 hours.

Quote from: plymouthbelvy on March 26, 2019, 10:30:59 AM
Yes battery is a AGM type battery. Car has been starting perfect for past 3 months or so.This issue just started.I keep a battery tender on battery all the time. Battery is fully charged. Going to swap out relay and try that. Let you know if that works.Thanks everybody.

plymouthbelvy

Thanks for info on the battery tender.I was told to use a battery tender but they did not say there was one for the AGM batteries. Thanks to all.