Main Menu

72-74 'Cuda - Supplemental Brake Lighting Idea

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, April 02, 2020, 07:12:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

Just sharing my recent COVID quarantine project.

When I wired my car I configured it for a 3rd brake light and have since left the wiring unused. I never could get behind a back glass light, I considered something in the AAR spoiler, nothing really grabbed me as something worth pursuing from an aesthetic standpoint.

Having given up on finding a 3rd brake light I liked, I took to modifying what I had to create something that could grab more attention. I already had retrofitted LED tail lights, which work nicely. Fast. Bright. But, I wanted something more.

I came across a 3rd brake light flashing module on eBay, it gives 3 fast pulses, 3 slow pulses, then goes solid. I also found some eBay red LED "halo rings", which are commonly used in headlights, 120mm diameter. I combined these two components to make what you see, my standard LED tails function as normal and the halos provide supplemental, attention grabbing, light.

Please excuse my 4 year old helper counting  :burnout:

Inside look, just powering the halo.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

That will get peoples ATTENTION for sure !!!!  :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

Rich G.

JS29

I wonder if that would confuse some people, they might think they are turn signals.  :huh: When you app lie a turn signal does it still pulsate like that?  :popcorn:   

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: JS29 on April 03, 2020, 07:28:12 AM
I wonder if that would confuse some people, they might think they are turn signals.  :huh: When you app lie a turn signal does it still pulsate like that?  :popcorn:

No, the turn signals do not run through the third brake light circuit and function as normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JS29

GoodysGotaCuda

Here is how they look running through brakes, turn signals, turn signals with brakes and then brakes one more time.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ledphoot

FSHTAIL

What controller are you using to pulse those halos?
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)