Main Menu

alt gauge drops low

Started by moparx5, October 10, 2020, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparx5

ok now that all my lights and blinkers work and today was the maiden voyage shake down ride
the alt gauge drops way down when i run the head lights
alt is new but i wouldn't rule out a defective
have never tested factory gauge nor do i know how
any feed back
thanks

dodj

The ammeter is a 'full flow' ammeter so reacts quite a bit when high current devices are turned on. Common for it to show discharge at idle. Are you still on the charge side when cruising with the lights on?
Unless you are an originality guy, look into the headlight relay mod, alternator bypass mod and voltmeter mod.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

moparx5

the car is pretty much stock original , drops down under power, only mod was a msd ready to run distributor , had to bypass the ballast resistor to have that work properly

Mr Lee

Recently, my volt gauge (I swapped out the ammeter for a volt gauge) was reading low while driving and wore out my battery.  Changed the alternator. Nothin.  Changed the voltage regulator.  Fixed.  Not sure if the headlights should be making yours run low, but changing the volt reg is an easy and relatively cheap place to start.   :alan2cents:
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.