Main Menu

Ammeter dead, any guess why?

Started by nsmall, October 03, 2017, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

@Burdar

I got the drive line and everything all connected and I'm just down to confirming the wiring is correct.

So the clock made a fuse pop and break.  I unhooked the clock and changed the fuse and the fuse no longer broke.

But now the ammeter gauge is no longer reading or showing any continuity when tested.  It was tested by Red Line and supposedly worked.

Since I have an electric fan, I'm just thinking of saying screw it and hooking the ammeter wires together and wrapping them carefully so they don't ever ground out and move on.

Not sure if anyone's ever heard of these problems?  I have all new wiring and the car did briefly engage as in the starter works and the ammeter showed signs of life but now the ammeter is dead.

Thanks in advance.  Neil

Brads70

I think it's always a good idea to bypass the ammeter.  :alan2cents:

Roadman

:rebelflag"               :iagree:           

Chryco Psycho

I would just connect both wires to one post on the ammeter, this way they cannot short or connect to the wrong point & it will put no load across the gauge , this is the safest way to do this . Obviously the Ammeter was weak & when loaded it failed

nsmall

Thanks Brad.  Yeah my fan is running 19 amps.  So in the end it's probably best just to bypass the gauge.

Redline Gauges said i can plug in a volt gauge via the cigarette lighter.   Does anyone have any pictures or advice on what wires to use in the harness or what it would look like to hook up the cigarette lighter? 

Thanks.

Brad....is the shop being built?  Any closer to a new car?  You don't have to answer me....I'm not trying to pressure you or anything I was just curious what's going on.

Chryco Psycho

You can connect the volt meter to the post where you can connect the 2 ammeter wires together

nsmall

@Chryco Psycho

I know...silly question.  Does it matter which post I use?  Does it matter if I put on positive first, then negative?

Thanks folks

Neil

Chryco Psycho

No it does not matter which post you connect both wires to or which order they are connected .

YellowThumper

As an extra precaution i would also disconnect the firewall connectors and confirm they are all still in good condition without signs of melting. This too was a weak area as all the amps pass thru the small blade connector.

another :alan2cents:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

1 Wild R/T

As Neal has said, just move both wires to one post... But I will disagree both with Neal & Redline about where to hook up your voltmeter... Both those locations are full time power.... You should use a switched power source....  And I kinda like the idea of this Chinese meter, even thought it's designed to plug into a cigarette lighter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4jXcbMtvyc

You can buy it here..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271824209708?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Since I would prefer it be on a switched power source I'd cur the plug off & wire it in directly...

Burdar

Re-wire the cigarette lighter so it only has power with the key on. 

Just unplug the power wire and put a plastic screw in the connector so it can't touch a ground.  Then run a new switched power wire to the lighter...done.

Brads70

Quote from: nsmall on October 03, 2017, 07:35:45 PM
Thanks Brad.  Yeah my fan is running 19 amps.  So in the end it's probably best just to bypass the gauge.

Brad....is the shop being built?  Any closer to a new car?  You don't have to answer me....I'm not trying to pressure you or anything I was just curious what's going on.

No still waiting for the city/lawyers to finish up the sale from the 15 feet from the front of my property for the road widening. I think I'll wait till spring and re-asses.....  :tired: