Main Menu

Another TACHOMETER TESTING thread

Started by Jay Bee, October 06, 2021, 01:22:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

Maybe I should have piggybacked on the other threads but...oh well.
So, I'm testing my spare 8K tach and I think it's bad BUT I'd like to know if my procedure is sound or if I'm missing something.

Using battery's negative to tach's case(ground).
Using battery's positive to tach's power post.
Using coil's negative to tach's spade connector.
The car has Mopar Electronic Ignition w/black ECU and obviously running and revving the engine during the test.

If the tach was good, would doing the above work?
FYI: the tach in the car works fine, it was converted to the RTE board and it was disconnected for the test - just because

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Jay Bee

Quote from: Bullitt- on October 06, 2021, 07:00:02 PM
  Sounds correct to me....
Thanks for the confirmation.

I really thought the tach was good and expected to see some movement. That's what got me second guessing the procedure. I also read that "fender" testing like that won't work with an MSD ignition, that's why the Mopar Electronic Ign mention.

dodj

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 07, 2021, 05:24:12 AM
Quote from: Bullitt- on October 06, 2021, 07:00:02 PM
  Sounds correct to me....
Thanks for the confirmation.

I really thought the tach was good and expected to see some movement. That's what got me second guessing the procedure. I also read that "fender" testing like that won't work with an MSD ignition, that's why the Mopar Electronic Ign mention.
To work with the MSD, you would need to use their tach adapter as well I think.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Caparco

That's only if you're using the msd ignition box not just a coil that adapter only works with the msd ignition box :alan2cents:
It's Amazing what we can accomplish~

With just a little bit of hard work.

And a whole LOT of complaining!!... lol